Sad Times

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Sad Times

Post by Sir reel »

Having been a member for over 10 yrs. this will be the second time I've made a post of this nature on the forum. I don't know of any other group where there would be so many who would truly understand, and that helps a lot. Being out of town with no idea of where to go to seek a Vet clinic made it even more difficult but I was able to locate a facility and staff who did everything they could to help. Aside from that, It has been a couple of sad days for My Wife and I. 3 days ago my good buddy Dixie (7yr old Brittney) was chasing stray cats, birds off the dock and just being there with me when ever I headed for the door. On Saturday evening/Sunday morning She became extremely lethargic with absolutely no energy or desire to move from where she would lay down. No appetite no interest in doing any of the things that she absolutely loved to do. Extreme weakness to the point that I had to carry her to the car when we decided to go to a 24 hr emergency room in Dundee (about 30 min from Frostproof) around 9 pm Sunday evening. They did some blood work and took some Xrays. The doctor on duty saw some images around the spleen that She didn't like and recommended that we return on Monday so the primary doctor at the clinic could do an ultra sound. We arrived at the clinic at 8:15, We waited aprox 30 min and then they had a room ready. I picked Dixie up and carried her to the room and we began to discuss the situation with the Doc. He reviewed the previous night's notes and agreed that an ultra sound was needed. After the ultra sound, the pictured changed. Instead of the spleen being involved, he saw a significant mass on the liver along with two smaller ones. After discussing the options, all of which seemed pretty grim as well as costly, we told him to go ahead with surgery to see exactly what we were dealing with. The doc told us that it would be later that afternoon before the surgery could be done and he would call just before he started so we wouldn't be spending time wondering what or if anything had happened which I thought was extremely kind and sensitive towards us. He said he would call again once he could determine what exactly we were dealing with and we would give him a decision as to whether we wanted him to continue with removing a portion of the liver or if it looked beyond a reasonable change of success. He made both calls to us and the last one was the news we didn't want to hear but really had been expecting. There was even more involvement of the liver than showed up on the ultrasound. Dixie just had no chance of being the kind of dog she would want and very expensive radiation and chemo would maybe give her at the most a couple of years. We made the decision to end it for her while she was still under the anesthetic. It was an extremely difficult and shocking experience... Totally unexpected for us. Even thinking about it now it's hard to believe how quickly the events transpired during the past 3 days from my active "good dog" to the creature who could only look at me with the "I just can't make it" look in her eyes.

Bud
Rest easy Girl Friend.
Attachments
029.JPG
029.JPG (607.07 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Sad Times

Post by DEMON »

Sorry about you loss. Anyone that has ever had a pet knows what you are feeling.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

She was a beautiful dog! I'm very sorry for your loss. That hurts bad.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

One of my favorites. From Gene Hill

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself.

He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever—in case I need him. And I expect I will—as I always have. He is just my dog.

Tears and Laughter
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

sorry to hear it Bud. It sounds like you did everything possible and made the difficult decision when you had to for your friend. Darn dogs never live as long as us....
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Sorry for your loss of a good friend
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Just a year or so ago that I was holding my Great Dane in my arms while the doc put him down due to the rapid spread of an osteosarcoma. Absolutely know how heart-wrenching such a loss is, Bud.

Pray that the sorrow fades as quickly as possible, not that it ever entirely goes away, and that you're soon able to look back with fond memories on all the good days spent with Dixie. Know it doesn't ease the pain much, but you absolutely did the most thoughtful thing for her that you could by shortening her time of suffering.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

So sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful dog and surely a loving friend.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

How many heart breaking times have we been there before. You would think it would get easier but it doesn't. A dogs joy is to make us happy, ask little in return and is always faithful.

You can rest easy in that you did all you could do. I know you wanted to be able to do more and would have but that was beyond your control.

Take a little time, thank God for such a wonderful friendship and find another one. There is a special one out there waiting just for you!

I don't know if time heals all wounds but experiences like this makes us into better people.

We are so sorry for your loss.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Terrible to hear - and like others, have been there before. never easy. The memories of the fun and frustrations will always bring a smile to y'alls face.

The fact that you made the effort speaks worlds of your love for the pup, and just know that your pup loved y'all more than you can imagine.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Bud -
Sorry to hear that kind of news. I know it hurts and now there is an "empty spot" in your heart. Remember the good times you had with her and I am sure that is the way she would have wanted to be remembered. She served a great Master and I am sure she remained loyal into the very end. You all did the right thing and it that had to be done. Only time can heal your wound. Hang in there.

MJ
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Bud
Team Jolly Mon
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

Sorry for the loss of your partner. I love my Brittany's. Great dogs. They really are great comfort and great friends - especially if you hunt with them. They are always full of energy and never seem to grow up, so it's hard to watch them get sick or lose their ability to go wide open. I lost my first one last year when she was 11 years old. She was the perfect dog - good bird dog, and good pet. I love the breed and still have 2. Nothing like another one to honor the first one.
Last edited by CW2008 on March 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Sorry for your loss of a good friend -- dogs are truely "man's best friend"! Think about the great life you gave her.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I know your feelings,I have felt them. Sorry for your loss.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?