Gatlinburg in the heat

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RodBow
Site Sponsor

Gatlinburg in the heat

Post by RodBow »

Our family's taking an adventure ride up to Gat., TN as tourists this summer. It's been over 35 yrs since I've been there so probly things have changed a bit.

I know most of y'all are sensible types so I'm hoping to get some "must see" and/or "don't bother with it" recommendations.
Age range for the clan is from - 1 yr to about as old as JT - includes a 1 and 4 yr old, 3-4 older teens, 2 late twenty's and then us grands.
We'll definitely be split on some things but maybe most of 'em will listen to some Hillbilly/Bluegrass music - which is about the only thing I want to do.

Thanks!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Gatlinburg in the heat

Post by Dubble Trubble »

You want an honest opinion? Gatlinburg has become nothing but a tourist trap. I went about 8 years ago and will NEVER go back. TOO many folks and high prices.

Same thing for Pigeon Forge.....

I want to go where there are few people, and nice cool streams running......

I know a few like that but I dang sure ain't telling where.... :-D

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
reeltherapy

Post by reeltherapy »

The Ripleys aquarium is really good and take the drive over to cades cove it is amazing lots to see and you can just about pet the deer that are all over the place.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

You might like to spend a few hours at the Lost Sea. http://thelostsea.com/mobilostsea/index.php

Its a couple hours south of Gatlinburg in Sweetwater, TN.

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

Go to cades cove around 3 pm it is worth the drive lots of wildlife
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

If you have time to fish, my favorite place is the Hiawassee River in Reliance Tn. That is south of Sweetwater and north of Benton. Good trout fishing! Rainbows and Browns!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

W are headed that way on June 9th RB. When are y'all goin up?
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I prefer Dahlonega over anything in TN. It has become much to commercialized. It's all Dolly Parton's fault. :-)
Team Jolly Mon
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

West of Sweetwater (home of Redneck Resort Mud Park) in McMinnville is Craighead Caverns. They have underground concerts there that are pretty cool (neither pun intended).
http://www.bluegrassunderground.com

Fishin' is the mission.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

http://www.bluegrasscircle.com

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are both a bit like Disney, nice places to visit, especially for children and you know what to expect regarding crowds and prices.

Definite vote for Cades Cove late afternoon, we saw deer, turkeys, coyotes and a bear, beautiful place.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Just returned from there. Believe it or not, Dollywood is the place for such a diverse group. We let the teenagers go ride and we went the the music shows "they got so damned fine musicians there" :thumbup: Cades Cove is nice for looking at the old architecture and the animals, but expect folks to be stopping all the time to take pictures. Expect a LOT of people when you go into town "it was over crowded on our stay and we was told that it wasn't nearly as busy as usual"' :o The wife REALLY enjoyed the winery tour in PF and we have a feeling that we should have spent more time there than fighting the crowds in Gatlinburg!!While the Falls re always nice, the only one that I can say was breath-taking is Mingo Falls, just outside of Cherokee, NC. The only MUST SEE is of course, Clingman's Dome, you will find no better or more breath-taking view of the mountains anywhere :thumbup: I will warn ya that most everything is expensive and most of the shops are full of nothing but a bunch of junk!! The highest temp was 95 :o The lowest was 50 "at Clingman's Dome" :thumbup: :thumbup: Good Luck and take LOTS of $$$$$$$ :smt004
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Added by my Wife :-D

I thought the 6 mile loop-Roaring Fork Motor Trail was the best by far. Go early in the morning and plan on spending some time enjoying the cool mountain air, wonderful vistas, streams and old homesteads The trails are not bad if you take your time. I would also book my tickets for any shows in advance; they fill way early. Use the bypass around Gatlinburg to miss the strip.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Been there, done that, don't need anymore t-shirts. Cades Cove and Clingman's Dome and the ride through the mountain is good for your soul. The two afore mentioned towns will suck the marrow out of your soul. :smt009
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!