1st Night Fishing Adventure

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

QueenB
Site Sponsor

1st Night Fishing Adventure

Post by QueenB »

With the big full moon being so tempting I couldn't resist the urge to hit the water. Hubby and I got the boat in the water about 1am this morning. The moon was full and there was plenty of light. Followed the markers out from St Marks with a flashlight leading us from one maker to the next since we are currently without a GPS. Made it out in front of the lighthouse successfully and started fishing. Caught several catfish and sharks. One was the smallest shark we have ever caught, it was about 8inches long! The full moon kept dipping behind the clouds then shining bright again...off and on until about 5am. We were difting along happily catching fish and relaxing when we noticed a rather dark cloud quickly approaching. Decided we should head for the hill but when we started toward the hill we realized we could see any landmarks...not even the lighthouse we didn't really know where the hill was!! As we looked for the way home we thought fog was rolling in when we noticed it wasn't fog but rain.....hard rain blowing in sheets. Decided it was best to just hold where we were until the storm passed, not sure if this was a good idea or not. Got soaked and when the rain finally let up and the dawn began to break we had blown way out of our comfort zone. The storm had blown us nearly to Shell Point! Those who know me, know I have a ski boat that we fish out of....takes 3 feet of water and I do oyster bars. We puttered along heading toward the lighthouse hoping we would find our way sooner or later. We made it back up the river to the hill just as the sun was coming up! We were glad to be safe on dry land. It was an exciting night but a lesson was learned. Night fishing requires a GPS! I think I have had my fill of excitement for a while. Think I will stick to the nice, hot, sunny day time fishing!! It was fun and it will make a for a good story but it was a bit too adventerous for me!! Time to get some sleep!!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: 1st Night Fishing Adventure

Post by Harmsway »

What an adventure! It just goes to prove what I've been known to say before, "Never go out on purpose in conditions that you haven't already been in before by accident."
Live n learn. :geek: GPS good; compass essential; both recommended.

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

Sounds like a Fun trip, Just wait till the FOG rolls or better yet just DROPS and you can't even see the Bow of your own boat and try to Navigate with a compass or GPS with out
running over oyster bars or in to other Boats that Don't turn on their Running Lights in the FOG . Fishing can be fun and always plan for the the worst . Always lots of Sharks to catch at night and it's a lot Cooler in the summer months.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

...we had blown way out of our comfort zone.
maybe an anchor?!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck