FISHING WITH JIGS OFFSHORE

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

FISHING WITH JIGS OFFSHORE

Post by SCALAWAG »

IF YOU ARE FISHING WITH JIGS OFFSHORE FOR GROUPER, SNAPPER,ECT. AND YOU TIP YOUR JIGS WITH NATURAL BAIT. DOES THE JIG HAVE TO BE MADE WITH A CIRCLE HOOK?
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
konrad

Re: FISHING WITH JIGS OFFSHORE

Post by konrad »

If you use Gulp instead of dead bait you don't have to worry about it. They last longer and provide a much better action.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

SCALAWAG wrote:IF YOU ARE FISHING WITH JIGS OFFSHORE FOR GROUPER, SNAPPER,ECT. AND YOU TIP YOUR JIGS WITH NATURAL BAIT. DOES THE JIG HAVE TO BE MADE WITH A CIRCLE HOOK?
Yes. So, as has been already suggested, use a gulp to tip.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good question. I've never thought about that. We do sometimes use a frozen cigar minnow or a strip of a fillet from a dead hardtail, grunt, etc. It looks like I've been breaking the rules doing this. Another thing I found in this link was a better explanation of the inline or offset circle hook regulations. In state waters you can't use a circle hook with an offset. I like the Gamakatsu Octopus Circles but they do have a very slight offset. I've never had a FWC officer ask or check but they could.

FLORIDA FEDERAL & STATE WATERS REGULATIONS
EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2008

GULF OF MEXICO – FEDERAL WATERS
NINE OR MORE MILES OFFSHORE

Anglers engaged in fishing for reef fish defined as snappers, groupers, amberjacks, porgies, triggerfish, hogfish and tilefish must use non-stainless steel circle hooks when using natural or live baits. This rule includes artificial lures or jigs tipped with natural or live baits. Anglers must also have on board their vessel a venting tool and de-hooking device.
Offset circle hooks are permitted when targeting these same species in the federal zone.
Anglers using artificial lures or jigs tipped with scented soft plastics are not required to use circle hooks.
Anglers targeting billfish, except swordfish, in any tournament or event which is regulated by the National Marine Fisheries Service Highly Migratory Species Act or competing in a tournament or event in which prizes or money are offered must use non-offset, non-stainless steel circle hooks when using natural or live baits or when natural or live baits are used in combination with artificial lures or jigs.
Anglers targeting any other species of fish in the Gulf of Mexico Federal Zone are not required to use circle hooks.

GULF OF MEXICO – STATE WATERS OF FLORIDA
SHORELINE TO NINE MILES OFFSHORE

Anglers engaged in fishing for reef fish defined as snappers, groupers, amberjacks, porgies, triggerfish, hogfish and tilefish must use non-stainless steel, non-offset circle hooks when using natural or live baits. This rule includes artificial lures or jigs tipped with natural or live baits. Anglers must also have on board their vessel a venting tool and de-hooking device.
Offset circle hooks are not permitted when targeting these same species in state waters.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

HI ALL,
WHAT YOU SAID RHETTLEY IS WHY I ASK THE QUESTION. WE HAVE ALWAYS USED LIVE BAIT AND DEAD BAIT ON OUR JIGS AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER WHEN BOTTOM FISHING OFF SHORE. I HAVE FOUND SOME JIGS MADE WITH CIRCLE HOOKS BUT I DID NOT WANT TO CHANGE UNLESS IT WAS REQUIRED.?? THE REGULATIONS DID NOT SPECIFY THIS (EXACTLY). AT LEAST NOT IN THE ONE I HAVE READ. THANKS FOR THE INFO.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

To tell you the truth I'm not sure exactly where in the regulations this comes from. I did a google search and it took a while to find this. It was actually a pdf file. I assume it's up to date. I did notice where they are now considering not requiring venting tools anymore.
As for the jigs, I work mine pretty vigorously. I drop to the bottom them pump and reel fast about half way back up, then drop it back. A circle hook would not work very well in this situation. The purpose of a circle hook is too keep the fish from being hooked too deeply. I can't say I've ever had one hooked deeply on a jig, even with real bait on it and slowly being bumped a few feet up and down at the bottom.