Bass Pro Grand Opening Sept. 4 @ 6pm

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

RedMann
Site Sponsor

Bass Pro Grand Opening Sept. 4 @ 6pm

Post by RedMann »

Not sure if this is news to others but it's news to me.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... Aug2013_SP
Nambleman

Re: Bass Pro Grand Opening Sept. 4 @ 6pm

Post by Nambleman »

Awesome! I was wondering when they were gonna open. Thanks for sharing!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Rode by today. They have lots of boats!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Will they have any good sales? Bet I can still beat them with local prices.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I received a grand opening flyer/sales paper in the mail last week. Didn't see anything terribly exciting... sales paper is probably available online as well.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I am near the Bass Pro in Duluth, Ga. Great store, has anything you might want, and just fun to see all the décor. On the other hand I can buy Mirrorlures etc and a lot of stuff cheaper at Fisherman's Choice in East Point, and I'm sure a lot of the other small local stores are the same. Warning, don't pull a Walmart concept and shut the little guys down. We always need them. If they are too high just tell them so. They want our business and need to know what to do to get it! Just my two sense.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I have family near the Duluth store and like to go there, but overall BPS sells most things at full retail. They only really discount stuff during the spring fishing sale or fall hunting sale, but not everything. Sometimes you can get their branded stuff at a discount. If I'm paying full retail I would much rather go to a local store. I think most local stores carry the things we really use at a competitive price, and they reward loyal customers too. There are some local stores that for some reason think selling lures at 2-3 dollars above retail is a good buisness movement, I will not shop at stores that do that. Those stores are not any of the sponsors here. I also don't shop at local stores that never reorder stock when it's gone, I will not beg a store for product. I will go some where else.
Golforfish?

Post by Golforfish? »

Bass Pros flyer advertises Gulps 20% off. They are regularly $6.49, so even with the discount it's more then Kevin's everyday price. I'm still going to go there because honestly who doesn't want to hang around in a building loaded with everything I love. But I probably won't buy anything. I'm sticking with Kevin's.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Boy howdee – you guys sure sing the praiser of "support local" - I'm all for "local", but Im also for convenience and variety and growth.

Who do you suppose works there once BPS opens? Folks from out of state? No. mostly locals. Who cleans the store at night? Who won the landscaping contract? Who's gonna get the AC service contracts? Where are the semi's that stocking the stores buying fuel in and out of town? They pay local property taxes. Local electric bills. Etc. Etc. Etc. Seems they are "local" in most the sense.

They filled an empty building that probably otherwise would have sat empty for a while. Now they are there, other retailers are more confident to get in and give it a try. Restaurants slated to come in the near future... a new AMC theatre ready to start construction, and more to come. That all equals = you guessed it local jobs. I'm sure I will see a few of you "local folks" in the checkout line on weekends when I pop in to waste some time looking around.

I get where you are coming from with shop local - but it's "beat a dead horse" with every new retailer that opens here. First Sportman Warehouse. Then Academy. (Waiting on some Dick bashers) - LOL

It seems like not that long ago, people on here talked so bad about the prices, selection, and customer service at Kevin's. I'm glad that changed at least.

Shop till ya drop!
8)
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Excellent points! My original point, if you will look back, was that I just assumed the big stores were the place to buy everything. I used to think I had to stock up before a trip but soon realized that some of the local stores sold cheaper plus they carried what worked in the local areas. When I first moved in the area (we're 60 miles outside Atlanta) where I live now we had to ride ten miles to a decent grocery store. We got excited when "new stores etc were opened. It was more convenient. Now you have to be brave to get on the roads most hours of the day. There are many news jobs etc but believe me many NEW people will follow those new jobs from other parts of the country. Only a few years ago I knew everyone in the big local new stores but almost overnight I know no one in the stores. Your nice perfect size city or town will change drastically and you won't know it. If a person can capitalize off the growth it can be positive and if they can't they will want to move. Of course that's tough with this economy. What I did was get me a small second vacation home in a place that doesn't have all this growth so I have the option to DRIVE back in time. And really all this stuff just depends on where you are in life. Oh and don't try to make a living working at BPS. You will starve.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!