Ammo in TLH

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Ammo in TLH

Post by big bend gyrene »

Needing to make an ammo shopping run... will be looking for birdshot and buckshot loads as well as rifle and pistol rounds in several calibers. Price and availability wise, what's my best bet? Short on free time to make it to SGA so looking for strictly TLH options. And not looking to start "local" vs "chain" debate either... two criteria, availability & price. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Re: Ammo in TLH

Post by bman »

I'm going to sound like a homer- but Kevin's had really low prices on the Rio shotgun ammo. All I got was bird shot.
Can't say anything about pistol/rifle rounds or Buckshot.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Kevin's has a great pistol supply. I don't know anything about buckshot.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

bman wrote:I'm going to sound like a homer- but Kevin's had really low prices on the Rio shotgun ammo. All I got was bird shot.
Kevin's was $69 for a case (10 boxes) of Rio 20 Gauge 8 shot. A case of 20 gauge 8 shot Rio is $54.90 at Academy.

Kevin's ammo prices are consistently higher than Walmart or Academy. Kevin's alwyas has ammo in stock but that comes at a price.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Squirm88 wrote:
bman wrote:I'm going to sound like a homer- but Kevin's had really low prices on the Rio shotgun ammo. All I got was bird shot.
Kevin's was $69 for a case (10 boxes) of Rio 20 Gauge 8 shot. A case of 20 gauge 8 shot Rio is $54.90 at Academy.

Kevin's ammo prices are consistently higher than Walmart or Academy. Kevin's alwyas has ammo in stock but that comes at a price.

Was it exactly the same ammo? Rio makes a target load and a hotter game load. I wonder if the $54 was for target loads.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

Salty Gator wrote:
Squirm88 wrote:

Was it exactly the same ammo? Rio makes a target load and a hotter game load. I wonder if the $54 was for target loads.
Yes it was exactly the same ammo, Rio "game load" 20 gauge 2 3/4" 1 oz 8 shot 1,250 FPS. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rio-gam ... io&Ntk=All
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Tell Kevin's about the price difference, They may match price.
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

It depends on what you want the shotshells for:

For dove hunting I bought 1 1/4 ounce 7.5 shot at Kevin's. Nobody else seems to carry the 1 1/4 ounce.

For clays I bought some cheap Estate shells at Academy when they had them on sale.