Take A Kid Fishin Saturday?? Help!!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bonecracker

Take A Kid Fishin Saturday?? Help!!

Post by Bonecracker »

Taking 2 kids fishing on Saturday morning and never fished the St. Marks area! Have "NO PROBLEM" fishing Econfina, Aucilla, Keaton, and Lanark areas!! Was thinking of just running down to Aucilla but that is a long run from St. Marks fort! :thumbdown: I usually just throw the cast net a few times at the East end of Dog Island and fill the live well with bait and keep the kids in tight lines, but I have "NO CLUE" where to find bait at St. Marks and it is going to be chilly Saturday AM!! Any adivse would be appreciated! :thumbup:
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Take A Kid Fishin Saturday?? Help!!

Post by DEMON »

Mouth of the lighthouse channel usually has bait or you can take live shrimp and let em catch pinfish first and use for bait. The shrimp will also let em catch whatever else is around. Catfish, blues, ladyfish, etc.
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

DEMON wrote:Mouth of the lighthouse channel usually has bait or you can take live shrimp and let em catch pinfish first and use for bait. The shrimp will also let em catch whatever else is around. Catfish, blues, ladyfish, etc.
Thanks DEMON! :thumbup: Bring the cast net and will go look in that area for bait!! Sure would make it easier on all of us to find some pilchards for bait and never seen a fish turn a live one down!!! :D :-D :D As for da-pinfish, I got that one!!
2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

I'm definitley not someone to be giving fishing advice in that or any other area but, if all else fails, find a rocky area in 8-12 feet of water, anchor up, throw out a chum bag and drift some live or dead shrimp off the back of the boat. You may not catch anything you want to keep but you should have plenty of action. I did this a couple of times out of St. Marks with the kids fishing event and the kids really enjoyed the catching even if there wasn't much we could keep. We ended up actually catching a few keeper trout and spanish so it wasn't all bad from that standpoint. Good luck and good on you for doing this.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Keep an eye out for diving birds and crashing fish. Seen several reports lately of blues, spanish and ladies crashing bait pods. Hit a couple of em myself last Sat. Its that time of the year. Makes for some exciting fishing for the kids. Have a rod or two ready with wire leader or heavy mono to throw at em.