Monday hunt with my son. 11/25/13 8pt

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Monday hunt with my son. 11/25/13 8pt

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

My son has been trying to get a deer since early rifle season. Every time he has hunted with me either we see nothing or something we dont want to shoot. Well with him being out of school all week and the rut starting, I told him we would hunt every morning this week before I went to work. I got up at 5:30 and went outside to walk the dogs. It was real windy and wondered if they would walk. Decided to try anyway so I got him up and getting ready. got in the stand at 6:15 and waited for daylight. It got light later than usual with the cloud cover. About 10 till 7:00 I see a deer in the pines I get the gun up and find it again and see it's a doe. My son wants to look at it so I give him the gun. I tell him he is looking in the wrong place but he says I see it. I get my gun up and see that it is a buck following the doe. I tell him to watch close for the doe to step out and he will follow. We lose sight of both of them so I hit the calls and even rattle.....But they must have headed off. We have to get down at 7:45 so I can get to work. At 7:30 I see the doe in a 10' opening at the bottom of the plot @ 125yards. I tell him to get ready that the buck will be right behind her. She steps into the hardwoods and is gone. 10 seconds later the buck is in the opening. I mouthgrunt to stop him....he paused for a sec then went to move. I grunted louder...he stops and looks.....BOOM! My sons .222 barks and the deer makes a wild jump. Woohoo good hit, and takes off. I tell him he made a good shot and we walk to the spot. I'm looking for blood and tell him I smell him. We head off in the direction he went I'm still following the smell looking for blood, when my son yells "I see him". I say where "Right there" I look where he is pointing and this is what I saw............Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us We highfive and do a little celibration dance. Then call momma and tell her he got one....................Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I'm so proud of him making a quick shot and making it count. The buck only went about 20 yards. I thank God for the wonderful experience with my son. I enjoy seeing him getting one more than doing it myself.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Monday hunt with my son. 11/25/13 8pt

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

A couple more pics once we got to Dean's......Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.usImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us The buck weighed #160 and was rutting good. It's time to be in the woods with your kids.
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

Love all of the smiles. That is what it's all about. Great job Dad!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

PRICELESS! What a hunt!

Congratulations! A good trophy deer.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Good job!!! You won't ever forget that hunt.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Great job, I am guessing work had to wait. :-D
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Congrats to your boy!!
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Thanks everyone. It was an awesome experience that not even time can take away from us. I was only a half hour late to work. :-D ...............Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

That is awesome dad!!!! Heck of a shot to your son too.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Well done!!!
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Congrats to your son
I remember those days with my sons , he is now making them with his sons
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Nice deer! Congratulations to your son! That had to be a challenging shot at that distance with the deer about to walk off. Well done!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Rhettley wrote:Nice deer! Congratulations to your son! That had to be a challenging shot at that distance with the deer about to walk off. Well done!
:-D Yeah he made me proud. I know a lot of adults that could not have pulled off that shot. Since he was quartering towards us he adjusted his shot from the shoulder to the crease between the shoulder and the base of the neck. It was the farthest shot we have on our place. :-D