Pecan Wood for Smoking??

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JeffB
Site Sponsor

Re: Pecan Wood for Smoking??

Post by JeffB »

ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

I'm secretly following this post to see whose smoker I can mooch off of when I get a hold of a kingfish :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bman wrote:What is wrong wild cherry?
I was teasing Danibeth because a house she is looking had trees taken down and now there are several big cherry logs stacked with oak at her lot.

Its local so is that wild cherry??
Low levels of Cyanide in wild cherry. Wilted leaves are the most poisonous to horses and cattle. I've always heard not to smoke with it, and I assume that is why

Sorry, just saw Jeff's link
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I've always heard not to use wild cherry too.
Another often overlooked wood that gives an awesome flavor is Blackjack Oak. My buddy and I did a few slabs of bacon using blackjack back when it was cold, and oh boy was it good! I also use it for sausage.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Green pecan limbs add a great flavor for grilling fish. I just grab some that are thumb size to a little larger and cut them into sticks about 6 inches long. I soak them for just a few minutes then throw them on the coals as I put the fish on. Just spread them out and be careful of them flaming up. I've done the same thing on steaks and got good reviews.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

There is a smoked wood supplier in Cheifland that sells all kinds of smoking wood, cut and dried. Last time i bought a pallet of pecan is was $125., the pallet was stacked up about four feet high with perfect size chunks.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Barry.....you'll need to come to some agreement with my dad I'm not getting in the middle of that negotiation...but don't worry....he's usually pretty reasonable and plays well with others :-D

hopefully we'll be out there soon to start clearing out some of that wood. One month hopefully............