Chart Plotter Problems

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Chart Plotter Problems

Post by Scoop Sea »

As luck would have it, we finally had a day I could fish (although I would have to miss Church) and when I got the boat loaded up and put the chart plotter on, it wouldn't turn on. Nothing at all would happen with it. I checked the power sources and everything was in order. It's a Hummingbird 937C and is probably 8 years old. It seems strange to me that it wouldn't do anything at all, no lines, no blips, nothing. If anyone has any suggestions on what the issue may be, I'd be glad to try em out.

I hope yall blistered em today. Like I told my daughter when she asked why we weren't going: God was reminded us what our priorities are supposed to be.

In advance, thanks for any tips/suggestions.

Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
MarkM

Re: Chart Plotter Problems

Post by MarkM »

I had a Garmin chartplotter for about the same length of time. One day it worked fine, the next nothing. Called Garmin and they said get a new one, they said they couldn't repair it. Hummingbird may be different.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

MarkM wrote:I had a Garmin chartplotter for about the same length of time. One day it worked fine, the next nothing. Called Garmin and they said get a new one, they said they couldn't repair it. Hummingbird may be different.

Man, that is discouraging Mark, but that may be reality in the end.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Power. Inline fuse? Corroded wire somewhere. Ground.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

wired to a switch or inline to a separate battery (ie not your starting/motor battery). If you don't have a batter separate for a trolling motor/fish finder, good idea to get one.

Just dealt with this on a buddy's boat. Before you get all crazy, find the power/ground wires for the unit (not for your transducer) and pull them off whatever they're spliced into and go directly to a battery (+/-) and see if you get power. IF YOU DO! then you know it is a connection issue and you can correct accordingly. I just pulled a separate battery, put in a new inline fuse and went directly to it (12v). Worked great all weekend - will probably put it on its own dedicated switch.
Last edited by FishWithChris on April 28th, 2014, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Check for power and ground at the cable contacts that go into the unit (you will need a multi-meter or circuit tester). If they are present, it is a problem inside the unit.
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

fishinfool wrote:Check for power and ground at the cable contacts that go into the unit (you will need a multi-meter or circuit tester). If they are present, it is a problem inside the unit.
:thumbup:
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Scoop Sea wrote:
MarkM wrote:I had a Garmin chartplotter for about the same length of time. One day it worked fine, the next nothing. Called Garmin and they said get a new one, they said they couldn't repair it. Hummingbird may be different.

Man, that is discouraging Mark, but that may be reality in the end.

That is the mentality of most companies nowadays. If it is over a few years old, screw you and give us more money for a new one.

One exception to this in the USA. John Deere. I have a tractor that is 50 years old, and can still get parts for it. I have 2 Lawn mowers 20 years old, and can still get parts.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I checked all the connections on the batteries. I wasn't totally sure which battery has the power to the bottom machine, so I checked/cleaned all 3 batteries. I'm assuming it's the battery set up for cranking. I did a "hasty" job of checking as it became clear to me that I was supposed to go to Church instead of fishing, so all my investigation work took place before early Church. I will try and check it out more this weekend when I get back in town. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I had an Off/On switch go bad with my plotter just sitting in the closet. Who knows about electronics. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

I had a completely different experience lately with Garmin Customer Service. On a older GPS/Sounder unit, the GPS would not do anything while the sounder worked fine. Basically a the GPS side of the unit was just dead. After cutting it on & off numerous times during the day (hoping it would reset) I gave up on the GPS side and used it as a depth finder only. The next week I called Garmin Customer support. They quickly gave me basic instructions on how to reset the unit. Then he offered to send me a SD card to update the software in the unit at no charge as long as I returned the SD card.

I followed the reset instructions and the GPS unit has been running great ever since. Got the SD card in the mail as promised and updated the software and returned the card in the mail.

Great experience with the customer service. Will be shopping Garmin for my next purchase when the time comes. :thumbup: :thumbup:
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I've experienced problems with the unit plugs themselves getting to where they would make less than perfect contact and then the unit won't come on. I could jiggle the plug and it would come on, but then go off at the first bump. Corrosion is probably a factor so I started putting connector grease over the plug when I pull the unit off the boat. That seems to help. On one unit I ended up just getting a replacement plug and cord. Those plugs are kind of delicate. Keeping it plugged in and on the boat is probably what the manufacturers have designed the plugs to best handle. Plugging it in and unplugging it every time the boat gets used can't be good for it.