Local Hardwood Lumber Supplier?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

foxtrotuniform

Local Hardwood Lumber Supplier?

Post by foxtrotuniform »

I need to pick up some 4/4 hardwood for a small furniture project. Nothing fancy or exotic. About 10 board feet of Walnut or Mahogany would do it for me. Ten inches wide would be ideal.

Anyone know of any local-ish hardwood suppliers to the Big Bend? Preferably somewhere between Apalachicola and Perry and south of the Georgia state line. Thanks.

edit: Home Depot and Lowes are a no go. All they have is overpriced oak, poplar and aspen. (Who builds anything with aspen, anyway?)
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Local Hardwood Lumber Supplier?

Post by wevans »

Check with Gulf Coast Lumber in Woodville or Crawfordville :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Ebryant

Post by Ebryant »

I'm all for buying local but for these types of wood and specific sizes you will probably need to look elsewhere. Try Stein Products in Chattanooga Tn. Ask for Leo Kogan. I visited their office and warehouse they have lots of wood from all over the world. They will ship to you. I'm in LaGrange , Ga. and was very satisfied with their product and delivery.
foxtrotuniform

Post by foxtrotuniform »

Ebryant wrote:I'm all for buying local but for these types of wood and specific sizes you will probably need to look elsewhere. Try Stein Products in Chattanooga Tn. Ask for Leo Kogan. I visited their office and warehouse they have lots of wood from all over the world. They will ship to you. I'm in LaGrange , Ga. and was very satisfied with their product and delivery.

Yeah, it's a bummer, but the closest stuff I'm finding is in Blountstown at Big River Cypress and Hardwood, then in Jacksonville.

I had a kick ass supplier in Pensacola. Peeples Hardwood. http://www.peeplesexoticwood.com/
The guy had a one of the best stockrooms I've ever seen, and he ran it out of his back yard. Spoiled me...

Thanks for the heads up on the place in Chatty. I'll give them a shout sometime.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

There's a guy that sells specialty lumber like that in rail road square, down by FAMU. I've bought from him before but can't recall the name. Go in the square, bear to the right and he's down on the left side.
Stay Thirsty My Friends