Offshore Gear

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MIAcanes44

Offshore Gear

Post by MIAcanes44 »

I need some advice as to what kind of gear I need to fish 15-30 miles offshore. I am looking to do a little trolling and bottom fishing. I don't have deep pockets therefore wanting to stay in the $150-200 range for a combo. Any suggestions?
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Offshore Gear

Post by Salty Gator »

For bottom fishing, I like the lightweight jigging rods. I like spinners, but they make conventional also. Shimano talus rods range from $109-$160 ish. Pair it w a shimano saros and you should be a little over $200. Lin at Kevin's or the guys at sgo will pair the rod w the right reel. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Thanks Salty Gator. What size spinners?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Anywhere from 6000 on up. I paired an extra heavy w a 10000 sarogosa and really like it. It is so light, but can( and has) handle a 30" gag or snapper. I also have a heavy paired w an old diawa bg 60 that I found, had serviced , drag beefed up by Jim and like it as well( $80 reel I think) Good luck
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

My BG20 is a beast. Never played with a BG60 though
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

I have two of these for AJs- and live baits- this is as large as I would go no larger than 50's-- plenty of size for what we have around here- spooled with 50lb PP.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-CSP50PT ... 3cb703c6db

Couple of these for trolling with 30lb mono -
http://www.eastcoasttackle.com/x/home.php?cat=351

And these 113 or 114's for bottom fishing- -with 40-50 lb mono and a heavy leader- with Star Arial Rods
http://www.alltackle.com/penn_special_senator_reels.htm

Had one of these and loved it, but the sea took it from me…
http://www.alltackle.com/daiwa_saltist.htm
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The Canyon HS-15 is a good choice at around $205, There is also the TLD series from Shimano. The 20 or 25 in the lever drag or the 15/30 star drag should handle pretty much anything you want in this area. The Shimanos run from $100-$180 depending on model.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

[quote="Redfin"]I have two of these for AJs- and live baits- this is as large as I would go no larger than 50's-- plenty of size for what we have around here- spooled with 50lb PP.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANTUM-CSP50PT ... 3cb703c6db

Why would you get 50 when a 60 is the same reel w a spool that holds more line? I've never understood the 50 or 70( same as the 80 w a smaller spool) sizes they put out.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

The 50s were on sale.. haven't run out of line, or even come close yet.. 3 years and counting. Especially with the Power Pro, you can load more than mono.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Redfin wrote:The 50s were on sale.. haven't run out of line, or even come close yet.. 3 years and counting. Especially with the Power Pro, you can load more than mono.
That is true, but you can load more line on a 60. I guess different strokes for different folks. You said you would go no bigger than a cabo 50. I would go no smaller than a cabo 60. I know there are some guys that use 4000's for tarpon and cobia, that's what I like for redfish.

Plenty of good advice here, and you can see, you can argue all different sizes. Go feel the rods and reels your considering, and get what feels good to you :thumbup:
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I have a new Cabo 80 with 80 lb diamond braid. I'm yet to find anything that can whoop it.

But then again, I had a new 2500 Penn Conflict with 20 lb power pro that has pulled up AJ's at K tower.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

Thanks for all the information. If anyone is looking to decrease their offshore inventory, let me know. I might be interested in some used gear.