Auto/Manual Life Jackets

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JC_UF_ITK

Auto/Manual Life Jackets

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

I'm selling three Bass Pro Shops Auto/Manual Inflatable Life Vests. Two are currently charged and the other has an unopened recharge kit. I paid $110 for each. Asking $75/each or all three for $200. Located in Jonesville/Gainesville.

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Auto/Manual Life Jackets

Post by Flint River Pirate »

That's a good deal for someone. If you don't currently wear a PFD, please consider using these. I wear a Mustang auto inflatable and it is great.
Team Jolly Mon
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

Hey , if you are in Jonesville give me a call 352-427- 7000
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Jim, I'll give you a call this morning. Thank you.

Josh
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

I have one left if anyone is interested.
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Still have one left.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I found out something I didn't know on a recent trip. If these are your life jackets you have to BE wearing them. Luckily the FWC guy explained this to me without a ticket!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

That's correct. They have to be worn when underway.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

The FWC indicated to me it's not just underway but all the time unless you have a regular jacket with you. Certainly something worth knowing.
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

I'm pretty sure he was wrong. Only when underway according to FWC website. I have confirmed this with a few FWC officers over the years, but still run into some that don't know the law.

"NOTE: A Type V hybrid may substituted for any Type I, II, or III device, but must be worn whenever the vessel is underway and the person is not in the cabin or other enclosed area."

http://myfwc.com/boating/safety-educati ... r-16-feet/
http://myfwc.com/boating/safety-educati ... -259-feet/
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

That makes more sense and it definitely sounds like that is the case. When he informed me about it counting he said it had to be worn but didn't add the underway part. He may have had other stuff on his mind as he checked us good, and we did pass. The same guy came by us four times in the next few weeks and I had four different groups of friends with me. The forth pass he stopped and asked if I was a guide. I told him no, I just had a lot of friends when they hear im going fishing. He laughed and told us to be careful. This was in the SGI area and I haven't been checked down ther in three or four years. He was in a black zodiac with twin 250's. Nice and very friendly and gave me some good location info.
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Good to hear! Most of them seem to be good folks!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I may be mistaken and end up stirring up some dust but my understanding is as follows: The reason that it would need to be worn while fishing and not underway would be for it to count as a PFD and match the number of riders onboard. In other words, if you have 3 folks onboard and 2 traditional life vests and 1 auto inflator suspender type, ALL in a dry storage area,....and FWC stops and checks you, your not in compliance because your only carrying 2 life vests. The suspenders do not count because they are not being worn. It's good practice to carry enough standard vests for all. Then, if checked when not underway and you have removed the suspender your still in compliance. So if you only have the correct number of PFD's including the suspenders, you would need to wear it all the time whether underway or not. I've probably confused the situation, if so my apologies.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Sir Reel, That was basically what the officer told me. He said it needed to be worn to count. I put it on immediately as to "get in compliance". The regulations posted seem to read differently. I have a ton of PFD's so that is not the problem. At times several of us will go and we own the suspender type and that's all we take. I guess it'd be a good idea to find out for sure.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

There is some confusion here. Type V inflatables must be worn while underway, but many of the better quality auto inflatable vests are Type III classification, so wearing is not mandatory while underway. I do wear mine whenever I'm in the kayak and should in the boat but don't usually.

Just wrote a column on this and the USCG is currently reviewing the ratings and will probably change it within the next year or so to reflect actual buoyancy. Interviewed the VP of Mustang Survival, which makes commercial and recreational products. http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/fishi ... table-vest

For comparison, the cheap foam Mae West Type II orange vests provide 15 pounds of buoyancy (the Type 1 commercial foam ones offer 22). The inshore style inflatables provide 22 to 26 pounds and the Type III Offshore offer 35 pounds of buoyancy.

JC, not trying to torpedo your sale or hijack your thread. Your listing doesn't say, but your vests might be Type III. If they are Type V, they still offer better protection than the foam style. :thumbup: