RAM Trolling motor mount

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Xpress

RAM Trolling motor mount

Post by Xpress »

Anybody ever used a ram trolling motor bracket to stabilize your trolling motor. My riptide shaft cracked right below the head guy said it was from all the bouncing while running. With the long shaft hanging out so far over base it bounces in the waves. Guy fixing the motor in Moultrie said to get a ram mount up towards the head to stop the bouncing. If anybody has one let me know what you think of them. Also, if I order one would I need standard size or the long one to fit on an xpress. Let me know you thoughts. Also, by the way if the shaft ever cracks on your riptide it has a lifetime warranty on the shaft I didn't know that I was very happy. :D :D
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: RAM Trolling motor mount

Post by zload »

They make a specific kit for trolling motors you can get it at Cabelas Amazon maybe some of the local stores...

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-108
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I looked at the ram mount some time ago & decided it was most likey a waste of money. First of all your shaft has to be a certain height to work. Secondly, having experience with ram mounts (on my sounder & GPS) they don't hold weight well. They sag and the wear on the balls make it worse over time. I may be wrong but my assessment was that it wouldn't relieve the stress but rather just move with it. I built my own mount from pvc pipe, parts & a velcro strap for a couple of buck & it holds the shaft rigid & has lasted for several years now. I even made it quick release when I want it out of the way.
20140624_133328 - Copy.jpg
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I have one where there is a ball mounted on the trolling motor shift and it tightens down in a mount on the boat to stabilize it.
Xpress

Post by Xpress »

Demon

Can you send me parts list and how you assembled it
Rogan
Site Sponsor

Post by Rogan »

Its a great solution to stabilize the motor. I've used them on two different boats and they do the job. Cut down a piece of treated 4x4 if you have to so it sits up high enough to keep the shaft level. I've beat the crap out of mine and its still good. Use some 5200 to attach the 4x4 to the deck if need be. It will hold it a long time. You can round the edges of the wood, paint it black and it looks more finished.
"No, I dont remember where I last had it, if I knew I'd go get it" ...
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Here ya go. (1) 3/4" PVC tee, (1) piece of 3/4" pipe, (1) 1/2" plug, (1) 2" wide velcro strap, & (1) stainless steel pin(with ball catch at the end). Cut the top off the tee (or you can sometimes find them @ Lowes already like this). Glue it to the pipe & cut the pipe to length. Cut a hole in the center of the velcro strap so it slides up to the bottom of the tee. Sand the 1/2" plug down until it fits in side the pipe easily. Attach the plug to the deck by drilling thru the plug & into the deck & attach with a ss screw. Drill thru the pipe & plug (at the same time) with the appropriate drill bit for the size of ss pin you are using.

[/attachment]
20150310_183608.jpg
20150310_183744.jpg
20150310_183624.jpg
As you can see, you can pull the pin & all you have left on the deck is the small plug.