Aucilla Ramp

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Aucilla Ramp

Post by lordsfisher »

Questions:
Is the Aucilla Ramp now open?
If so, do you think I could put a 21' Carolina Skiff in there?
thanks
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Aucilla Ramp

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU CAN LAUNCH YOUR BOAT AT AUCILLA IF THEY HAVE FINISHED REFINISHING THE RAMP, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL GOING OUT THE RIVER, MANY ROCKS, THEY MOVE AROUND FROM TIME TO TIME. I WOULD NOT TRY TO RUN OUT THE RIVER UNLESS IT IS EITHER 2 HRS. BEFORE OR AFTER HIGH TIDE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Closed sign at road was still up earlier in week
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I talked to JR a while back. The proposed schedule for to re-open the ramp is this coming weekend 4/18. From the description JR gave me of the ramp improvements you should be able to launch just about any trailer-able boat. However, as Pa mentioned above, getting down the river is going to be the challenge.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have donated a lower unit to the Aucilla River. Nothing came off, but it was ruined.

Only a crazy person would launch a really big boat there. Will be nice to have a ramp without those dang sharp drop offs to catch the trailer on. Wonder if they can keep Taylor Counties finest from smashing the money box?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Get a 25$ ramp sticker and it's good for all the county ramps for a year that includes Keaton and steinhatchee. That cost maybe 20$ purchased at the courthouse
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Drug runners used to run a 20+ foot center console with a big old 200+ outboard on it in and out of that river at night. There was a time when I ran in and out on all but the lowest tide and not bumped a rock. However, I was younger and I was shown that river by an old man who had been fishing it for years. After seeing it on a negative tide, I never tried that again. So, you could take that boat, but I would not take it if there was going to be a very low tide and I sure would idle out the river.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Thanks. I'm sure I could do it, but I think I'll be wise to get a porter skeg guard before i venture down that river and then follow someone out. The learning curve is expensive out there.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Much safer to run out of Ecofina and the road is better too. It's only a couple of minute run on the water to get to Aucilla from there.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Back in the day I would sometimes ride along during running season out of the Aucilla. The guy I would go with could shoot that river wot in his birddog at just about the lowest tide. He steered by the silhouette of the treeline at night. Never once touched a rock.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

My Dad(Fisherman989) used to love that river, and could run it quite well even on low tides. He said he knew where all the rocks were. When asked how he knew that, he replied,"I've hit 'em all!" :o I watched him replace at least 2 lower units from that river, so I run it with respect and then only when tide is higher. :roll:
Yours in the South
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Whoopty, that guy you went with must have been living right!
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I have a pretty good map that shows where the rocks are. Last time I went out I gave it to my buddy ,he sitting up front, and asked him to help as I steered us out. Didn't realize he is ADD. Clunk: bent prop.
He says "yup, here it is on the map!!"
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

The website says the ramp won't be open until may
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Aucilla Ramp is now re-opened. JR posted a couple times on Facebook to let everyone know. :thumbup: :thumbup: