St. Marks 6-8-15

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Aucilla
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 6-8-15

Post by Aucilla »

Got the 13'er runnin' right and went out fishing Sunday for the first time in ages, but for a couple of times out of town each of the last two December catchin' sheepshead ...

Stopped at Jerry's to hear, as soon as we walked in, "no live shrimp--nobody's got 'em."

Left the Lighthouse about 7 AM, and only a few boat trailers were there. Headed east toward some old gps waypoints of some rocks south of Gray Mare, and learned how rusty I was as I seemed to circle those babies without getting over them! Haven't set the on board machine so north is to the top of my screen (need to figure that out), so when I zoomed in I had no idea of what direction I was going! :-? If I had been by myself, I would have kept at it; but my fishing buddy looked like he was getting dizzy. So we ended up just casting "in the right direction" ..... before moving on...

Fishing cut bait on a jig, a minnow plug, Gulp on a jig, etc., we managed one keeper speckled trout, a few shorts, and a few catfish in the area. Also caught a couple of small sharks on a free lined baitrunner. I did mess up as I was helping my buddy with a net and the runner started clicking lonnnnnng with no drag.... with a big live pinfish as bait: I reached over and flipped to the light/medium drag and it was "click: mono leader cut." Had a another cut leader later, and think it was a spanish mackerel. Next time, I'll pre-rig a few ways.... and I'll be more patient....

We then fished closer to shore in about 2 or 3 feet of water as slack low tied arrived, and same story. Entertained by a school of dolphin/porpoise.

Went out to 10 feet, saw some bait schools....a big sea turtle.... and few boats as the noon heat and slow fishing seemed to clear the water. Headed for the hill around 2 pm and saw a lot of folks hanging out at the bird tower... the party season, family style, seemed to be on....

Another silly move to show I am as rusty as my trailer springs: tied up at the lighthouse dock to go get the trailer, and then after I got the trailer backed down the ramp and ran back to the dock I couldn't get the boat started! Thankfully, although there were a lot more trailers in the lot than when we left so early, I wasn't blocking anyone.

I convinced myself it wouldn't start because the gas was so low .....

Another fella about to take out noticed and towed me to my trailer and it went well and quickly after that... THEN I noticed the motor "kill switch" cord was pulled from when I got out of the boat at the dock, something I had actually noticed as I pulled if off my shoelace when I got out to run to the trailer. :hammer: I blame the hot sun! :)

Running the old boat and trailer home, I felt the trailer running rough and looked in the mirror and saw one of the wheels kind of "jumping" each revolution: sure enough, that hub was super hot and so the bearings must've blown or something like that.

I took a chance, pouring water on the hub a couple miles, I made it the few miles remaining to home. When I turned onto my street, I looked in the mirror at that wheel and saw the wheel kind of tilt like it was going to snap off one block from my house! But she made it, so now I have something else to fix before I can go again...

That's a lot of words for one trout!

It was a great trip for me and for my buddy too. Really enjoyed the trout, pan fried simply. It was a long day, pleasantly exhausting.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 6-8-15

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: Sorry about the slow bite and ruined trailer bearings. This has definitely been an off year for a lot of us.
Yours in the South