Crystal River Fishing Advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Beehaw

Crystal River Fishing Advice

Post by Beehaw »

Not looking for any secret spots, but I haven't had much success fishing the CR area. Can anybody share any advice on what to look for around here for trout and redfish?
Should I go out through the channel markers, or fish the areas off of the river on the way out?
Also curious what general area to use a cast net for bait. The fresh/brackish/salt water lines have me running in circles.

Any insight would be appreciated.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Crystal River Fishing Advice

Post by silverking »

Crystal River is a little farther south than most members normally fish. A couple on here do run out of Cedar Key often and maybe they will chime in. You can also do a search on here for Cedar Key.

I have fished Crystal River/Homosassa a few times for magazine assignments and will be heading down again this fall. Two of the best guides in the area are Capt. William Toney and Capt. Dan Clymer. Google both and check out their fishing reports on their respective web sites. Both are natives of the area and consistently put their clients on quality reds, trout and other species.

Good luck.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Re: Crystal River Fishing Advice

Post by JIm Smith »

try the Ozella area just on the south of CR for some good reds fish on the last 3 hrs. of high and the first 3 hrs of low . always put in at the end of the road and almost never used my big motor for anything but loading the boat. plenty of small islands with rocks and skinny water but fishable with trolling motor or with a pole