Apalachicola Oysters

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt Ron

Apalachicola Oysters

Post by Capt Ron »

One of the more honest assessments of our oyster situation.
http://www.flamingomag.com/2016/02/24/w ... ters-gone/
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachicola Oysters

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Nice read. Thanks for the post.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Interesting Article
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

It's a shame that such a valuable & delicious resource is in such bad shape.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Praying things will work out. Power, money and greed has ruined a lot of things.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
jzimmer

Post by jzimmer »

I use to use 40 -50 box's of Apalachicola oysters aweek for my two restaurants but after the oil spill when the bay was cleaned out I was forced to go to Virginia oysters to get what I needed at a higher price and end a relationship with a oysterman and his brother that I had being doing business with for over 35 years.I wish everyone in Franklin County the best and hope they can get thru this, I would love to go back to using Flordia oysters but dont see it happening in the near futhure
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

These articles always bring up the water wars. The dams have had little effect upon the oysters. That's not an opinion, its a fact. I have been coming and eating oysters out of the bay for over 50 years and some thought the dams were good for oysters at one time.

The problem was that the oysters were over fished for years and like the articles says, the Bay was raped ahead of the "feared" oil spill.

Louisiana oysters are making a come back, because they have been managed better since the spill. Alligator Harbor oysters are doing well also and they have zero fresh water there. The State needs to step up its management of the Bay, reseed a lot of beds and even let oystermen try aqua-culture beds like in Alligator Harbor.

I hate it, because I love me some Apalach oysters and would love to see it brought back.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!