St marks today 5/18

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

St marks today 5/18

Post by onefishtwofish »

Saw someone talking about no reports and since I have not been fishing much, figured I would post one since we got out today.

Monday was my Dad's 81st birthday and we wanted to take him for a fishing trip, so told him we would take him today. I wanted action, so we hit the flats for trout rather than a redfish trip. He had a great day. We caught trout and ladyfish all day long. Only 2 keepers in about 3.5 hours of fishing - lots and lots of 10-14 inch trout, more 12 than 14 though (we left when it started getting hot). We bounced around a lot from way east to right back in front of the lighthouse. Got in to pretty consistent bites at several stops. If they were tons of ladyfish or lots of shorts we moved. Our last stop produced the keepers, but the wind had died and Dad was getting hot so we did not repeat the drift. He caught three sharks, no size, but big enough to give him a good tug (all sharpnose). No cats all day, even with some cut bait drifting behind us. All fish were caught on jigs. Dad had Cajun thunder and jig with Gulp. We switched around a lot.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Re: St marks today 5/18

Post by trout fisher »

Good on you man. I'd give most anything to go fishing with my Daddy one more time. :thumbup:
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Thanks for posting and congrats on being able to take Dad fishing.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Great report. Hope my boy will take me fishing when I can't handle the boat. Bet he enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Glad yall had a good day, go fishing with him as often as you can.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good job, Doc. Enjoy every one of those moments. Many of us wish we had the same opportunity to share more time with our dads.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work Doc :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

"If God would but grant me the power.
To roll back the pages of time.
I'd give all I own.
If I could but atone.
to that silver haired daddy of mine."

O how I still miss him even after 41 years. One of the joys of my life is remembering the times we fished together.

Thanks for the story and fishing report.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice
The Back Porch
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

amen to all the above
Fish Dawg

Post by Fish Dawg »

Good report. I posted the remark about no one posting much any more !
You brought back great memories to a lot of us ! My Pop died 43 yrs ago while I was in college ! He had to work a lot when I was growing up to provide for our family . The best memories were when we went fishing and hunting together . The crazy thing was we never caught or killed much but we had a great time and great memories. I wish he could have spent some time with me and my 3 children on the flats , I miss him !