Econfina 6/4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Econfina 6/4

Post by ugadawg »

Got out on the water around 9:30 and was met with a glass flat surface. No wind all day and alot of heat :smt004 :smt004 Fished everywhere from 4 ft to 8 ft. Had the best luck around 7 ft while bouncing a dark gulp along the bottom. Finding consistent grass was the key, once the bottom starting having a bunch of sandy spots the bite would stop. I did catch a nice pompano on one of the big sandy spots, which was a nice surprise. Lots of short trout, rock bass, and lady fish today. Ended up with 7 keepers. Could have limited out, but I tried to be fancy and flip the the trout in the boat all day, and ended up flipping a few keepers back in the water.
IMG_0932.JPG
Had the pompano for dinner tonight. My wife says its her new favorite fish to eat! Might have to target them more now.
IMG_0945.JPG
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina 6/4

Post by trout fisher »

Nice mess of fish! That plate looks professional.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Good lookin' bunch of fish. Being VERY new to saltwater fishing, I've got one question. How do you tell a Pompano from a Jack?

Thanks,
Russ
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice days catch. Saw a guy at the ramp once that said he had two nice pompano. So I said cool let me see em. Had to tell him they were jacks. What is that side dish? It looks delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

Jacks have a more rounded head while pompano have a bit more pointed head. Jacks also have a bony area one their side right before their tail, while pompano are smooth. We had a school of jacks swim under the boat while they were tailing a school of mullet. Every one of the jacks looked like they were over 15-20 pounds (they probably weren't, but everything looks bigger in the water), but we couldn't get them to bite anything we had.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Jack crevalle
ImageGen.ashx-2.jpeg
ImageGen.ashx-2.jpeg (4.14 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Florida pompano
ImageGen.ashx.jpeg
ImageGen.ashx.jpeg (4.57 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Both are members of the jack family. Both fight hard, one is tasty and the other is not.

These drawings and other fish IDs by Diane Rome Pepples can be found on myfwc.com
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat