Fishing Weeki Wachee area?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Fishing Weeki Wachee area?

Post by fishinfool »

Anyone do any fishing in the Weeki Wachee/ Brooksville area? I have some vacation time coming in late Oct. early Nov. and was thinking about a place fairly close that I can have a good shot at some Snook and or Tarpon.
Last edited by fishinfool on August 2nd, 2016, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing Weeki Wachee area?

Post by silverking »

The Crystal River/Homosassa area is a very viable fishery for snook now. With all the springs for winter havens, the numbers are really strong. I have an article coming out in the October issue of Salt Water Sportsman that details it. Believe Hambric fishes down there on a regular basis too.

The tarpon will probably be spotty but there should be enough fish heading south to make it interesting.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Swampcreek

Re: Fishing Weeki Wachee area?

Post by Swampcreek »

We took a vacation there last spring break. We stayed at mary's fish camp. Nice place, good people. Nice dock, and fish cleaning station. It's up the mudd river, where to the left of where the weeki wachee joins it. There is a huge spring head feeding the mudd river. I saw a tarpon hanging around the dock every day, but no one could catch it. I caught a huge red in the channel near what they call "the gator hole." Bull reds were all up and down that river. The last day I was there i went out into the gulf and went right, limited out 18" trout in 30 minutes. Caught and released a bunch, and left them biting. That whole place is fishy.. My 4 year old was catching mangroves under the dock every day. We will be going back some time. Good luck