Yeti Wins Lawsuit against RTIC Coolers

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Yeti Wins Lawsuit against RTIC Coolers

Post by silverking »

Glad I bought my soft-sided RTIC for the new skiff when I did...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/yeti-reac ... 00748.html
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Re: Yeti Wins Lawsuit against RTIC Coolers

Post by JIm Smith »

same here
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Yeti: grossly over-priced and grossly over-rated.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Glad I got me a 65 qt for 139
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hmmm, RTIC site is still open for business today.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

From RTIC FB Page:

“The dispute has been amicably resolved and as part of the agreement, Rtic has agreed to redesign only those products involved in the dispute,” Rtic’s statement continued.

Rtic’s statement also notes that the company announced last month that it planned to update its 2017 product lines, which should roll out early this spring. The company plans to continue to operate as normal, according to the statement.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Saw that statement on another forum but couldn't paste it here.

Will be interesting to see what new designs they come up with in the spring launch.

Actually should have waited a few weeks on my purchase as the price had dropped to $87 on Amazon as of yesterday afternoon. Sounds like existing inventory is going quick though on all outlets.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Don't own any rtic coolers so can't speak about them. But I bought a pile of tumblers, bottles and coozies. Other than the tops of the coozies not fitting quite at well as the yeti, the 20 oz cup being shaped a little differently, and the tops having a hole for a straw, they seem very similar. Probably made in the same factory. ( I did pour boiling water in a yeti and a rtic bottle and the next morning the yeti was 140 degrees and the rtic was 130 degrees) so the yeti held the heat a little better ( boiling water in the old school Stanley thermos was 69 degrees), but the rtic water was still too hot to drink. Those cups and coozies work well. Before the knock offs came out, I had no problem paying $40 for a cup that kept a drink iced for over a day or keep something hot all day. Worth every penny to me, but I like cold drinks and hot coffee. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have found something almost as good for a 1/4-1/3 of the price. But before the knock offs hit the market, I was more than happy paying $40 for a cup or $30 for a coozie that would last a lifetime and actually keep a drink cold on a hot boat all day. They may not be for everyone, but they aren't over priced or over rated for folks that like ice cold drinks, that stay cold on a hot boat all day. ( But of course haters are going to hate)
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Who are all these people that take 18 hour's to drink a drink?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Redfin wrote:Who are all these people that take 18 hour's to drink a drink?
Probably no one, but you can leave a glass of ice tea in a hot car for 2 hours and it still have cold tea w ice when you get back in the car. Or leave a can in a coozie on the deck of a boat in the sun for an hour while your in the hot and heavy action and come back to an ice cold drink. I would suggest trying them before passIng judgement. I didn't think I'd like them either until I got one as a gift.
On another note, has anyone tried the Orion coolers? They look awesome, and made in the USA I believe.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

No judging. I have the tumbers, a coozie, and a coolers. Love them. But never had a need to keep a drink cold for 18 hours. I get it tho. Marketing.
Last edited by Redfin on February 5th, 2017, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Interviewed the former owner of Orion Coolers and they are very similar to Yeti/Engel. Rugged, great ice retention and made in Tennessee. They also do custom logos/school colors.

There are a bunch of companies that jumped on the rotomolded bandwagon after Engel first introduced them. Engel had early supply issues and lost the initiative when they couldn't fulfill. Yeti jumped into the void. Orion, K2, Grizzly, Pelican, Cabelas, BPS and RTIC followed and I'm sure there are more.

I really liked the Engel I bought for the Microskiff. Kept ice for several days if the lid wasn't opened constantly and also had a good drain system, solid construction and a wire basket to keep sandwiches and stuff from getting soggy. I would buy another without hesitation. I wanted to keep the weight down in the new boat though so went with the RTIC 30 soft chest cooler for drinks/lunch. I'll use the live well for my fish ice box since I fish strictly artificials.