Lanark/Carrabelle 25 Feb 2017

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Can'tCatchAnything

Lanark/Carrabelle 25 Feb 2017

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I put in just east of Carrabelle at 7:30 am to a way low tide, dead calm, and very poor visibility. Realistically I couldn't see much of anything for a good hr and really shouldn't have put in. I kept the road to my back and went straight out. I was looking to start fishing at 3 to 5 feet but the water was just so skinny. I didn't see 5 feet till a half mile out. I fished at 3 feet first, caught a few short trout on glow DOA jerkbait rigged weightless. Then went to 5 and nothing, saw more fish hitting the surface, but none would eat a super spook jr. I keep paddling out to deeper water and nothing. The fog let up and holy hell I'm halfway to Dog Island, the water was still slick calm, so that was my chance to move back in.

I went towards the river and couldn't get into the bayou as the tide was still too low. I started fishing the oyster bars and sand bars just east of the river and hooked 2 bigguns back to back, again on that crazy jerkbait rig, didn't measure but they were both maybe 22 to 24. The wind had picked up significantly so I threw into the wind and just let the drift carry the bait, me twitching every 5 to 10 seconds or so, very slow fishing. After those 2, nothing, I was seeing fish hit the surface everywhere, just couldn't get them to eat my lure again. Also saw some pompano skipping on the surface, very cool.

The tide finally came in enough for me to cross into the east bayou. There's redfish everywhere, in like 6 inches of water. I could see their backs clean out of the water, again couldn't get one to chew on my lure. I switch to a gold AD spoon, and fish the hell out of it, I'm starting to think I'll never catch a fish on that spoon. I cross the Carrabelle river and go into Jordan Bayou, caught a few short trout and decide to head back, I'm a ways away from my car now.

I troll a Rapala floating minnow on the way back, several hits, 1 small trout pulled in, but very poor hook up ratios (smaller hooks). I have a little blue Bomber Long A with larger hooks and start pulling in... more short trout. All along the flats on the way back, maybe 5 or 6 12 inch trout. I get back to my car at like 4:00 pm. I can sit on my kayak for 8 hrs a day but sit me in front of a computer and all of a sudden it's work.

xXLoneBowmanXx

Re: Lanark/Carrabelle 25 Feb 2017

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Funny how that works... 8 hours in the office seems like eternity, but I will sit in a tree stand or boat from sunrise to sunset with no problem, lol...

Glad to hear you had at least a little luck. Still more enjoyable than my Saturday of hauling kids and getting ready to move. Hoping this is my last weekend of no fishing for a while.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good report, CCA. Those were some nice trout. Keep chunking and winding those ADL/CM spoons. You'll get those reds to eat!

Steady stream of boats heading through St. Marks this afternoon. Looked pretty breezy though. I was working on a few things on the skiff and loading numbers in the GPS.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Did you try any natural baits?
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Thanks Capt. I was using that crazy jerk bait rig you taught us at the seminar. It's killer on bass in the lily pads too, as far as I've tried.
2Salty wrote:Did you try any natural baits?
Negative Ghostrider. I have a 7ft cast net I brought out once, but carrying the net and bait bucket really threw off the tracking of the kayak so I never did it again. 4 gallons of water is almost 40 lbs of extra weight, and then storing the cast net is more weight. I'm releasing all my fish this year except for a cobia so I'm not going to bother throwing meat to get more meat.

I really should've switched to a darker coloured bait (pretty clean water) like New Penny or Gold Flake to toss at the those unwilling fish, or maybe a DOA shrimp instead of the shad, or even hit it with the Pro-cure I have sitting in the bottom of my tackle bag... maybe next time.