Long motor layoff

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eightwt

Long motor layoff

Post by eightwt »

Have a 30 Merc that has only 15 hours on it but hasn't been run for probably 8 to 10 years. Any suggestions as to getting it going again? Should a pro be the one to do it or just try to crank it myself?
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Long motor layoff

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GET YOURSELF A CAN OF (CHEMTOOL LIQUID) FROM WALLY MART OR AUTO SUPPLY STORE, DIS-CONNECT YOUR FUEL LINE AT THE CARB. POUR ABOUT 4 OZ. OF CHEM-TOOL INTO THE CARB. BOWL, BE SURE THE FOOT IS IN THE WATER OR HAVE RABBIT-EARS ON THE FOOT WATER INTAKE. HOLD THE CHOKE ON FULL CHOKE, SQUIRT A SHOT OF STARTED FLUID INTO THE AIR INTAKE OF THE CARB AND THEN HIT THE STARTER. AS SOON AS IT STARTS RELEASE THE STARTER AND RELEASE THE CHOKE. YOU CAN NOT TURN OFF THE ENGINE WITH THE SWITCH UNTIL ALL OF THE CHEMTOOL HAS RUN THROUGH THE CARB, THIS IS THE REASON TO BE SURE YOU HAVE THE FOOT IN THE WATER OR RABBIT EARS ON THE WATER INTAKE. AFTER THE CHEM-TOOL RUNS OUT, HIT THE CHOKE BUTTON AND START THE ENGINE AT ABOUT 1/4 TH THROTTLE AND SHE SHOULD START JUST FINE. IF THE LAST TIME YOU RAN FUEL THROUGH THE CARB. AND IT HAD REGULAR GAS INSTEAD OF THE JUNK YOU BUY NOW IT WILL CONTINUE TO CRANK WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. ALWAYS BE SURE TO ADD OIL TO YOUR GAS AT A 50 TO 1 RATIO, I ALSO ADD STABIL ADDITIVE TO COUNTER ACT THE GAS WE GET NOW, KEEPS IT FROM MELTING ANY RUBBER GASKETS AND LINES YOU MIGHT HAVE FROM THE GAS TANK TO THE CARB. AND ANY RUBBER GASKETS IN YOUR FUEL SYSTEM.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

After that long, I might pull the spark plugs and give each cylinder a good spray to reduce the friction of the initial turn over. Change the plugs if they look corroded.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I would go ahead and pay somebody to go through it once.

My bet is the rubber arms on the water pump impeller are going to be dry rotted, and the fuel lines both on the engine and coming from the tank may be corroded inside after sitting that long. You don't say whether or not your using and old tank and fuel line or a new one, but if it is the old ones, they will need to be cleaned or replaced as well.

I agree with squirting some sort of lube in each cylinder also. Those piston rings have been sitting in the same place for a really long time.

- Steve Stinson
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

To be on the safe side, why don't you let me come take it off your hands. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Thanks for the reply's. Good advice. Thanks Mr. Pirate for your generous offer, but I think I'll pass.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I had to deal with the same thing last year. Got a merc 9.9 2 stroke with maybe 5 hours on it that had sat in a garage for 10 years. First I check all the fuel lines, cleaned the spark plugs and shot some carb cleaner in it before ever attempting to crank it. If a piece of trash had been in one of the lines I didn't want it to go into the engine. After that I tried to crank it but it wouldn't start. Ended up having to take the card off and sprayed carb cleaner through all the very small holes. Had to do this twice but now it runs great now. I also changed the lower unit oil.