Lanark, Oh Crap and Seatow

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Lanark, Oh Crap and Seatow

Post by MudDucker »

What a day! Got to Lanark and tested the boat on the hose, no joy. Although the onboard charger said the batteries were charged, it lied. Hooked up my speed charger and topped one off completely, went for an early lunch and came back. Tried it again on the hose and the old pro fired like a raring lion. On to the Lanark ramp zoo, fires up again great. Run east, stop for a drift and go to start up for another drift and no joy. Figured something must be draining battery by hard ground. Give up and call SeaTow. Here I am over 60 years old and I've NEVER been towed in before. I have towed a bunch, but never been towed myself in my own boat. Big cat sea tow tries to jump me, no joy. Even direct to the starter so he hooks off and here we go on a 3 hour tour. We enjoyed our fellowship and good laughs at my expense. The SeaTow has trouble with the shallows. There is a LINE of folks waiting to get out and I decided I would give my motor one more chance. Guess what, the starter turns like a champ and I am soon on my own power to enter the basin of the many. Get loaded and she starts again fine and again on the hose. Guess the starter bendex stuck up and overheated the starter on our first ride, because the batteries sure weren't dead. Went to Poppa Joes at the App and had a great dinner and to bed. Thanks Sea Tow, great service. Best money I've spent in a while. Said tow would have been $1050 but for my membership.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
jsaunders

Re: Lanark, Oh Crap and Seatow

Post by jsaunders »

$1,000 for a tow? Looks like I'm getting a Seatow membership....
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

some time we have these days MD
worth ever Penney for sea tow when you need it and even when you don't need it
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I have sea tow. Haven't had to call them thanks to "volunteers" being close when I've needed help. Its good to hear SeaTow does a good job when needed.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry to hear MD. We get a rock inst marks 2-3 weeks ago that broke the driveshaft. My buddy has has sea tow for for 10 years got talked into a west marine tow us package that was worthless ( $50 off a tow...what a joke). Called sea tow under my membership and got to the hill in under 2 hours. Capt Joel said it would have been $850 wo membership. Also, when I called the main office ( before I called Capt Joel directly), they said it wasn't covered since the boat owner was with me. Said it was only good if I borrowed the boat, but not if the captain was on board. Capt Joel( and his blue tick) came and got us no questions asked. Great service to have for any boater ( they even bring you gas if you run out). We give it to my father in law every Christmas also. Glad you got in safely
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I almost needed them yesterday myself, spun a prop 14 miles from ramp. I called to let them know I was going to idle in but to keep an eye out if I couldn't make it. Lady on the phone was very profesional. That was the first time I've ever had to call them since being a member(7 years).

***For those that have Seatow and a smart phone you need to down load there app. When you call from the app it shows them exactly where you are! Big must have if your in an emergency!!***
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I highly recommend the sea tow membership for the Big Bend area. They gave great service even at the dock helping me move from one dock to the other and getting my boat back on the trailer!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I'll add my nod to Capt. Joel and SeaTow, been a member for eight years.
I've never had to call them while on my boat...but I had to call for a jump once from another boat and we were on our way in less than 30 min.
It's a stress reliever.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

That does sound like a Bendix, mine was doing the same thing in my old 40 HP a few years back and I had to get it changed. Good luck.
Yours in the South
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

flatsbroke22 wrote:I almost needed them yesterday myself, spun a prop 14 miles from ramp. I called to let them know I was going to idle in but to keep an eye out if I couldn't make it. Lady on the phone was very profesional. That was the first time I've ever had to call them since being a member(7 years).

***For those that have Seatow and a smart phone you need to down load there app. When you call from the app it shows them exactly where you are! Big must have if your in an emergency!!***
Yes, but the app will only help if you are in cell range. Otherwise, VHF is a far more reliable tool offshore or in remote areas, or in an actual emergency better have a PLB or EPIRB.
EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

EddieJoe wrote:
flatsbroke22 wrote:I almost needed them yesterday myself, spun a prop 14 miles from ramp. I called to let them know I was going to idle in but to keep an eye out if I couldn't make it. Lady on the phone was very profesional. That was the first time I've ever had to call them since being a member(7 years).

Yes, but the app will only help if you are in cell range. Otherwise, VHF is a far more reliable tool offshore or in remote areas, or in an actual emergency better have a PLB or EPIRB.
EJ

Well of course it's only good if in cell range. But if in cell range and in an emergency this will work far better then VHF or any other device. As soon as the call is made your GPS cordinates show up on their computer, what is faster than that. I don't mean to only use this but if you have the app it will come in handy. I don't know of many folks that fish near shore that caryy a PLB or EPIRB but you can run into a lot of trouble in cell range. I broke down at the reef 9 miles out and it worked great and fast.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

flatsbroke22 wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:

EJ

Well of course it's only good if in cell range. But if in cell range and in an emergency this will work far better then VHF or any other device. As soon as the call is made your GPS cordinates show up on their computer, what is faster than that. I don't mean to only use this but if you have the app it will come in handy. I don't know of many folks that fish near shore that caryy a PLB or EPIRB but you can run into a lot of trouble in cell range. I broke down at the reef 9 miles out and it worked great and fast.
Yeah that is cool.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Glad it was not as bad as you thought anyways.

I have Seatow and I have gone fishing a few days when my old carbed motor was being annoying. Nice days and I said "If it messes up, I have Seatow". Never needed them, and just like insurance, I hope I don't.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Question…… Obviously everyone commenting are big Sea Tow fans. Ive had Boats U.S. for the last 5 years and they have been great. Had to use them twice. Both times when out of the water and trailer issues (extra $15 a year for trailer coverage is a no brainer). Whats the advantage (if any) of Sea Tow over Boats U.S.?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

randymullaly wrote:Question…… Obviously everyone commenting are big Sea Tow fans. Ive had Boats U.S. for the last 5 years and they have been great. Had to use them twice. Both times when out of the water and trailer issues (extra $15 a year for trailer coverage is a no brainer). Whats the advantage (if any) of Sea Tow over Boats U.S.?
Better coverage in the Big Bend area by Sea Tow than Boat US, which yields quicker response time when you need them.