Steinhatchee mixed bag

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

Steinhatchee mixed bag

Post by flatsbroke22 »

My plans were to go out and find some sheephead on the reefs. Well with the high winds first thing I had to regroup and try and find some trout. Found plenty but all were on the short side except on that was just over 15" but I didn't keep it. Fished a sand hole and picked up a couple flounder. When the tide got up I went to hunt for reds. Crusing the shallows with the trolly I saw three reds and a large trout but couldn't get them to bite. Finally hoocked into a nice 23" red blind casting. By now the wind had died down so I headed for the reef. Got locked on a pile of concrete culverts and the sheephead were home. The water was gin clear in 20' and could see them swimming in and out of the culverts but had a tough time getting them to bite. Watched them come out and circle my bait then go back in. :smt011 Did manage to get a couple to the boat along with a nice pink mouth. Fired up to leave and nailed the throttle and spun the hub! :bang_1 Good thing was I could run 1600 rpm's at about 7.5 mph which ment a long ride back to the ramp. Made it in in about 1.5-2 hours. Beat getting pulled in!

2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Dixie Dawg

Re: Steinhatchee mixed bag

Post by Dixie Dawg »

That's a decent mess. Did you get wet? I wanted to get after the sheepshead today pretty bad but weather kept me home.
brotherinlaw1

Post by brotherinlaw1 »

Good catchin. Headed down this weekend myself.
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Looks delicious! Glad you were able to get in safely.