Icky this weekend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Swampcreek

Icky this weekend

Post by Swampcreek »

Headed down tomorrow for the weekend. Hope we have luck and not so bad winds. Anybody know what the trout are doing? It's easy to find the reds, but the trout usually fool me.
Swampcreek

Re: Icky this weekend

Post by Swampcreek »

Also, what are you guys looking at for tides on the econfina? Closest thing I have found is tides4fishing, mandalay
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Aucilla River entrance, Rock Island and St. Marks River entrance all within 5 minutes of each other on the tide tables.

Good luck and post up a report.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

I've never been able to make it to rock island.. Is it worth taking extra gas to make it? What kind of fish hang around it? I'm in my stick steering 15' jon btw.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Not all that far but aptly named. Caution recommended. You'll find the usual suspects--trout, reds, flounder. Macks and sea bass out deeper.

Unless the winds pick up and you're only using a 3-gallon tank, it should be within range on a calm day. Might be best to tag along with a buddy boat.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

When I used to have a boat with only a 6 gal can I would carry a 2.5 gal can with me for emergency. Had to use it twice. Once at the mouth and once halfway up the river. Trout were out in front of Hickory mound last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:When I used to have a boat with only a 6 gal can I would carry a 2.5 gal can with me for emergency. Had to use it twice. Once at the mouth and once halfway up the river. Trout were out in front of Hickory mound last week.

They have since relocated :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Redbelly wrote:
Hit-n-Miss wrote:When I used to have a boat with only a 6 gal can I would carry a 2.5 gal can with me for emergency. Had to use it twice. Once at the mouth and once halfway up the river. Trout were out in front of Hickory mound last week.

. You been back down?

tabb

Post by tabb »

Will you be able to get out at daylight Sunday with low tide around 8:15
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
Redbelly wrote:

. You been back down?

No, I never did catch any in that spot, mine were farther west. :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

Man what a great weekend to be out on the water. We had to fish hard for the little bit we had. We ended up with flounder, red, two trout. Don't know how other folks did, but from what I saw it must have not been too good. Maybe next time. I tried hickory mound, or what I thought were the entrances to it. I've only been down there a few times, don't really know where it is.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Hickory Mound is before you get to Rock Island. I can usually see a cleared out area along the bank and maybe some vehicles driving on it. Good place to fish, watch out for big reds or drum! :-D
Yours in the South