Batteries

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Boudreux

Batteries

Post by Boudreux »

How long are you all getting out of trolling and cranking batteries? I have a cranking battery and a trolling battery that is just over a year and a half old with limited use and its already bad. It is a Walmart battery (Which I will never buy again).
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Batteries

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I use Interstate marine batteries. They hold up a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I guess I was lucky. I got six years out of my Walmart batteries (2 trolling and 2 house)and even when I replaced them two of them were still good. I had planned on buying more Walmart batteries but they were sold out of marine batteries at the time so ended up buying Duracells that cost twice as much at Sam's. :smt011
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I think it's the roll of the dice with batteries. I have replaced Wal-Mart and Interstate batteries that were less than 2 years old. The Wal-Mart trolling battery I now have is 7 years old and still holds good charge. Sometimes you just get a bad one. My least faves so far have been the Battery Source ones. Don't like them.
Yours in the South
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

To me Interstate is the best bang for the buck. But if you have the money I've got an Optima that is 10 years old and still holds a charge.

Boudreux

Post by Boudreux »

My third battery is an interstate and its still going strong for year 2. I bought it from Costco for about the same price as I paid for the Walmart batteries so I will go with those from now on. Another question, the cranking battery is not in a box and it gets a lot of corrosion on it (I have a center console bay boat). Will a battery box lessen the corrosion?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Boudreux wrote:My third battery is an interstate and its still going strong for year 2. I bought it from Costco for about the same price as I paid for the Walmart batteries so I will go with those from now on. Another question, the cranking battery is not in a box and it gets a lot of corrosion on it (I have a center console bay boat). Will a battery box lessen the corrosion?
No, Battery boxes are vented but it might actually make it worse by confining the acid and gases inside a battery box. Best bet is to clean em up and smear a little grease on the terminals to keep the fumes and acid from the lead in the terminals.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I agree with Juan. A coating of bearing grease seals out all corrosion. When replacing batteries. Sand or use a scotch bright pad to clean your rings and terminals to a shiny clean. Then put your rings on tighten and coat with grease. An new batt won't work well if you have black terminals.

Boudreux

Post by Boudreux »

Thanks for the help guys