Thought I'd share...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

xXLoneBowmanXx

Thought I'd share...

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

3-5 foot seas kept us from making the first grouper trip of the season
So we decided to take the family for a day at St. George. At the last minute I decided not to bring any fishing gear (big mistake). We got to our beach spot and set up, with folks on either side of us fishing. They were catching 13-14 inch pompano pretty consistently up and down the beach on the incoming tide. I watched helplessly as a couple of different fisherman hauled their limit of pomps back to their vehicles. I spent the rest of our time kicking myself for not being prepared. Made a decision to return on Sunday with a full arsenal. Parked in the same place, at the same time and fished for 4 hours. The only action was a small shark that cut me off. The pompano disappeared as mysteriously as they arrived. Lesson learned: NEVER go near water without a rod and reel.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
2true

Re: Thought I'd share...

Post by 2true »

We have all been there...........
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

What 2true said...

On the note about the bite turning off, a few years back my younger brother came down from Indiana to fish for two days with me. Both days we went to the exact same offshore spot. First day we couldn't get a bait down to grouper for over an hour due to jacks, spanish, and blues crushing them near the surface as we had massive schools of bait all around the boat thick enough it seemed you might be able to walk across them on top of the water. Finally slowed down enough on top that we got bait to the bottom and had a banner day with grouper and cobia. Insane action ALL... DAY... LONG.

Went back the next day... nothing. Absolutely NOTHING. No bait, no fish... nothing but a blank sonar signal where the day before it looked like a dark brick due to the thickness of bait and fish. Slowest day on the water I've had here in 15 years on the heels of one of the very best days I've had.

Why the call it fishing instead of catching. :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

The pursuit is what makes it a sport, for sure. The "non-fishing" crowd will never understand. By the way, be careful taking those Indiana Hoosiers out to fish. They are a shady bunch :wink:
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Old bait shop saying....THEY BIT LIKE CRAZY YESTERDAY AND THEY'RE GOING TO TEAR IT UP TOMORROW! :P
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

RHTFISH wrote:Old bait shop saying....THEY BIT LIKE CRAZY YESTERDAY AND THEY'RE GOING TO TEAR IT UP TOMORROW! :P
Story of my life! :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

RHTFISH wrote:Old bait shop saying....THEY BIT LIKE CRAZY YESTERDAY AND THEY'RE GOING TO TEAR IT UP TOMORROW! :P
And then there is Hackberry Rod n'Gun ... You should have been here Yesterday! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!