Sibiki Rig St Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Sibiki Rig St Marks

Post by Salty Gator »

JWCAMILLA wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:Ive tried cast net and sabikis but the best way I've found is with a cane pole (what you southerners call a "bream buster" :wink: ).
Hit the grass flats pretty much anywhere and you will fill your live well in 20 minutes or less. Tip the hook with gulp and the little buggers won't be able to clean you out.
Southerners call a cane pole a cane pole. We call a bream buster a bream buster. There is a difference :wink:
Cane poles are either the "real wood" pole or the "fiberglass" extendable poles. Bream busters are small rods about 4 ft long with a small zebco reel. We use them to cast small beetlespins and rooster tail lures on the Flint. LOL.
To me a cane pole is made from bamboo. A bream buster is the telescoping fiberglass rod. A small rod for casting beetlespins is an ultralight. That's how I learned in in south Alabama
Google bream buster and see what comes up
Last edited by Salty Gator on May 11th, 2017, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
laxman20

Post by laxman20 »

I find the best way to use the sabiki is just set up a drift over the flats (4-6 feet, grass) and drop the sabiki rig behind your drift so you don't have to cast at all. The drift will take your bait away from the boat. Tip with tiny Fresh gulp pieces. I let the rig drop, spool out a bit, then click over and lift up occasionally. Typically, you should get strikes within the first few seconds.
Laxman20

2005 Blazer Bay 2170
2008 Zuke Df 175

"Why can't we fish 5 days and work 2?"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Salty Gator wrote:
JWCAMILLA wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:Ive tried cast net and sabikis but the best way I've found is with a cane pole (what you southerners call a "bream buster" :wink: ).
Hit the grass flats pretty much anywhere and you will fill your live well in 20 minutes or less. Tip the hook with gulp and the little buggers won't be able to clean you out.
Southerners call a cane pole a cane pole. We call a bream buster a bream buster. There is a difference :wink:
Cane poles are either the "real wood" pole or the "fiberglass" extendable poles. Bream busters are small rods about 4 ft long with a small zebco reel. We use them to cast small beetlespins and rooster tail lures on the Flint. LOL.
To me a cane pole is made from bamboo. A bream buster is the telescoping fiberglass rod. A small rod for casting beetlespins is an ultralight. That's how I learned in in south Alabama
X2
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Salty Gator wrote:
JWCAMILLA wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
I've always considered the bamboo pole and the fiberglass telescoping pole to be the same, just made from different materials. The small spinning reels with ultra-fast action is what we call the ultralight. The "go to" for spring crappie fishing.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
JWCAMILLA wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
"I've always considered the bamboo pole and the fiberglass telescoping pole to be the same, just made from different materials."

Round here, a cane pole is made from bamboo and a bream buster is what you buy from the store. Not sure about how they do it up north :wink:
GC88

Post by GC88 »

I have tried this at Lanark and wasn't that successful. I only caught one every ten of fifteen minutes. I was in 1-2 foot of water, should I be deeper?

On another note, where should I go to get some Blue Runners?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GC88 wrote:I have tried this at Lanark and wasn't that successful. I only caught one every ten of fifteen minutes. I was in 1-2 foot of water, should I be deeper?

On another note, where should I go to get some Blue Runners?
Yes, go deeper. Blue runners and be found around cans or pilings. Found some on Dog island reef when sabikiing pins last Sunday
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

JWCAMILLA wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
Incorrect lol
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

GC88 wrote:I have tried this at Lanark and wasn't that successful. I only caught one every ten of fifteen minutes. I was in 1-2 foot of water, should I be deeper
As several folks have said, 4' to around 6' will be eaiser to fish the sabikis. Want to make sure you're over grass as well.

And even with you trying the super shallow waters can't help but ask did you do as recommended and tip with gulp? It makes all the difference in the world with pins (some other bait types will hit more readily without gulp, especially offshore). You should get nibbles pretty much constantly if over grass. If I'm over grass and quit getting nibbles it usually means the gulp got pulled off and it's time to retip. I actually like using as small of pieces of gulp as I can get on the hook. Gives pins less to tug at and improves hook-up ratios as well.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
GC88

Post by GC88 »

I tipped with squid. I guess I was to shallow.
geofish

Post by geofish »

I do well tipping sabiki (or the smallest crappie jig I can find) with little triangles of pink FishBites
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Salty Gator wrote:
xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
JWCAMILLA wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

"I've always considered the bamboo pole and the fiberglass telescoping pole to be the same, just made from different materials."

Round here, a cane pole is made from bamboo and a bream buster is what you buy from the store. Not sure about how they do it up north :wink:
It seems we've reached an impasse... I will never be able to look at a stick with a piece of fishing line tied to it, the same way. :lol:
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Gulp strips work well as bait. I put it on the hook and cut it to leave a small piece. http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley- ... 6&start=47
The Back Porch