Fire Extinguishers and Flares

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

redcodefsu

Fire Extinguishers and Flares

Post by redcodefsu »

I have a 17' Key West and my flares and extinguisher have both expired. What should I do with them?

Would this extinguisher work? FWC says it must be B1 and USCG certified. How can I tell if it's USCG certified?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walter-Kidde ... r/16224463
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Fire Extinguishers and Flares

Post by silverking »

Flares are still usually functional after they expire. If you want an extra layer of safety, put them in a zip lock bag and label them as expired with a magic marker. Keep them separate from the current flares so LE doesn't cite you.

If you'd rather just dispose of them and the extinguisher, you can drop them off at the Hazardous Waste site at the former landfill on Apalachee Parkway (next to the park). It's free and they dispose of them so they don't harm the environment.

Can't remember the classification of extinguishers but you want one that will handle gas and electrical. You can always just get an identical replacement to the one that you have now.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I put my old flares/extinguisher in a non-critical location where they would be helpful to have, but are not required by law.

For example, I put a set of flares in each car, and keep a couple extinguishers in strategic locations around the garage.
850-273-8818
redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

The extinguisher probably won't work, It says empty although I never used it. Good idea with the flares.
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

The 4th of July is not far off. :-?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:Flares are still usually functional after they expire. If you want an extra layer of safety, put them in a zip lock bag and label them as expired with a magic marker. Keep them separate from the current flares so LE doesn't cite you.

If you'd rather just dispose of them and the extinguisher, you can drop them off at the Hazardous Waste site at the former landfill on Apalachee Parkway (next to the park). It's free and they dispose of them so they don't harm the environment.

Can't remember the classification of extinguishers but you want one that will handle gas and electrical. You can always just get an identical replacement to the one that you have now.
Good advice. I keep a regular box full of expired flares with the legal ones on top.
Just buy a new extinguisher. It costs more to refill one than to buy new. Sad but true.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Flares are susceptible to humidity, thus the expiration date. I vacuum seal a set with my food saver. I also keep a set of up to date flares to show LEOs. The same goes with Registration, first aid kit and anything else I don't want to subject to the bay environment.
Unused 5200 sealed in a double vacuum bag,(one bag sealed then put that in a another bag and vacuum sealed again) will keep it a long time.
As far as an extinguisher, I just replace them as they expire.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

https://www.amazon.com/DISTRESS-LIGHT-A ... B0141VOX24
This product is pricy, but it replaces the traditional flares with an alternative that doesn't expire. I have one on my boat with a bunch of expired flares
Skinny Running

Post by Skinny Running »

I got a ticket for not having Flares and an extinguisher with proper dates on them. I got a pass but only after emailing photos and and a receipt of the replacements.
Seems like you have to get new ones about every year or they expire. Even in brand new never opened packages.