retire

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

retire

Post by JIm Smith »

thinking about pulling the trigger on retirement maybe going to a three day week even witch has been approved any one have any advice. been in the ag chem for 45 years and its not as fun as it once was. at 72 mom ask me every day if today is the day i'm going to retire.
FishWithChris

Re: retire

Post by FishWithChris »

If you're thinking you're ready, you're ready. Do 3 day a week as a trial.

Just remember, every day past is a day we do not get back.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I'm only 34, so my advice may be a little uninformed compared to others on the board, but I know some people who waited and waited to retire, only to retire and realize they no longer had the health or energy to do everything they wanted.
The fact that you're even having to ask the question tells me you have a strong work ethic and are probably one of those people who needs to keep busy. You'll be fine as long as you have a hobby or something else to keep you occupied.
My dad expanded the farm when he retired, and is happier now than I've ever seen him.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

oh go for it you will have less time to fish and do what you do now when everyone find out that you have retired
they think you have all the time in the world and all of the money also
I was forest into retirement at 62 i am now 66 and as i said i have less time to fish and travel as i did when i work full time
i was like you and did not know if i could afford it ,you learn to live in your means or it i would be happy
as you said work was no longer fun as it was for the past 25 yr i would not trade it for a 3 day week or a 1 day week
i always have something to do from yard work to work at the church i am enjoying it
DON'T WAIT TOO LONG SO YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

A month after he retired my dad was so busy he said he wasn't sure how he had time to work... but he was doing what he wanted to do vs. what he had to do...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

My father pulled the trigger over a year ago after much hesitation at age 69. He is a very busy man, mostly cause Mom keeps him hopping! Yard work, farm, rental property, numerous DR. appts, etc. But he's on his own time schedule and as happy as I've ever seen him. He's able to watch grandkids when needed and all the other good stuff that comes w being your own boss. He worked hard his whole life to be in this position today. He told me just the other week at a 4th family get together, "At this age the money is not as important as the time!" PULL THE TRIGGER!!
TurtleCat
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

Retired From BellSouth in 2008 I have never looked back, not once!!! :smt004 :smt083
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BEING RETIRED IS GREAT, GETTING OLDER WITH ALL THE ACHES AND PAIN IS NOT A OF BED OF ROSES. I HAVE BEEN SELF EMPLOYED FOR OVER 80 YEARS EXCEPT THE 4 YEARS I SPENT IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC IN WORLD WAR TWO SEEMS LIKE TO ME PEOPLE ARE NOT AS LOYAL AND HONEST AS THEY USE TO BE. ALL OF MY LOYAL OLD TIME FRIENDS ARE DEAD AND PASSED AWAY. IT IS KINDA LIKE BEING LEFT ALL ALONE EXCEPT FOR BABE, SHE IS STILL HANGING IN THERE LIKE ME.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I am looking at doing the same in about 3 years. Just be sure you have your retirement income all lined up and discuss with your financial adviser moving to more secure investments. Also, don't tell your wife and then maybe she won't load you up with honeydo's like every other wife I know. :lol:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I agree with B Spinner, just do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Methinks a fishing forum may not be the best place to ask objectively about retirement! Just saying.... :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

but if I retired I would have time to take all you guys fishing at Cedar Key. the only problem is my replacement as been here for two years and his wife has terminal brain cancer and I just don't feel right leaving my fellow workers whom I hired a long time ago until this cancer thing has run its course
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

RHTFISH wrote:Methinks a fishing forum may not be the best place to ask objectively about retirement! Just saying.... :-D
With all the loafers on here, I would think this would be an excellent place to check. :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!