St Marks Feb 20-23

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Livebait2

St Marks Feb 20-23

Post by Livebait2 »

Got to Shell island Wednesday night with my son for a 4 day fishing trip. We stayed in the river to fish.
Thursday we had to fight just to catch ladyfish and after getting rained on for an hour we called it @ 2pm.
Friday was windy and cold but we boated 4 sheepies and a red... tossed back a few just under sized sheep’s and lots of small reds & trout. Did all this below the old fort.
Saturday was cold and had frost on everything so we went back to the same hole below the fort and was blown around and froze all morning didn’t catch any keepers. Went up by Shields and found some schools of bait on the sonar but nothing was biting. Went up river on the Wakulla and finally on the falling tide found the magic spot out of the wind with fish. Caught 4 slot reds, 3 sheepies and 2 black drum. We fished till sunset and ran out of shrimp.
Sunday morning went back to the same spot we saw reds muddling but couldn’t get a bite and with tide falling couldn’t stay long so back to below the old fort. Fished a different hole and when you casted just right the stars lined up. Caught 1 red, 2 keeper trout and then the black drum showed up caught 6 keepers, let the smaller 15” go and biggest one was 6 pounds 24” all in 2 hours. It got hot and sadly we had to leave at noon to drive back to Atlanta. I had a hook straightened and lost something big before I could see it. Killed us that this happened as we needed to leave and with beautiful weather
Almost every thing was caught bouncing shrimp on the bottom, Gulps did nothing and we tried a few different ways rigging them too. This is my first report and I didn’t want to get too detailed I see what happens to Gary. :lol:
trying to post pictures but seems i'm not that smart

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Feb 20-23

Post by fishinfool »

Congrats on a successful trip and first report. :thumbup: :thumbup:
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

excellent report,thanks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Really?, come on man... No one asked Gary not to post detailed reports. We only asked him not to post the names of the creeks that he ( and we ) fish . That was it. No one asked him to stop reporting for crying out loud. Some of the guys that didn’t like it have left this forum. People that actively participate. Please post all you want, there is nothing secret about the river. The guys that would have given you actual advice, that you could have used, are gone...Thanks for the report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Ah geez, Livebait, post away. Post pics, etc.. We love Gary! Others just had massssssssssive problems with Gary saying "I caught them in this hole in this creek, here are the coordinates" (JK, he never got that detailed)

That hook straightening could have very well been a jombo Striper. Fished a spot up from Shields a couple of months back in similar conditions (mild winter, makes it fun to search) and I had something absolutely SCREAM my drag for about 3 seconds before it came unbuttoned. I think it was a striper, but how knows. Could have been ol' Nessy or an underwater squatch.

Glad to see the river still producing well! Capt. Mike McNamara (St Marks Outfitters) has always said, "any day of the year, no matter the conditions, I can go about 5 minutes from the ramp at the Fort and catch keeper Redfish." He's not lying! (He also has a 65mph Lake & Bay, so take that as you will... :lol: :lol: )
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Livebait2

Post by Livebait2 »

I’m making fun with the Gary joke... :roll: I didn’t want to say what marker I fish crap I have a 5 hr drive to get here and want all the fish in the holes as possible without someone sitting in my new favorite spot. I was tempted to try the tidal creeks but my main motor seized, was running 1999 30 hp Nissan so Now I’m back to my 15 hp Johnson. Get 9mph at wide open going upstream and 11 down if the tides with me but she starts first pull. After watching the video on how to upload videos it looks as if my profile won’t allow me as I’m missing the tab I need to select pictures.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Livebait2 wrote:I’m making fun with the Gary joke... :roll: I didn’t want to say what marker I fish crap I have a 5 hr drive to get here and want all the fish in the holes as possible without someone sitting in my new favorite spot. I was tempted to try the tidal creeks but my main motor seized, was running 1999 30 hp Nissan so Now I’m back to my 15 hp Johnson. Get 9mph at wide open going upstream and 11 down if the tides with me but she starts first pull. After watching the video on how to upload videos it looks as if my profile won’t allow me as I’m missing the tab I need to select pictures.
I’m sure you think it is cute, but there are some hard feelings about it between the actual people involved. Welcome to the forum. :smt006
SouthernPointe

Post by SouthernPointe »

Salty Gator wrote:
Livebait2 wrote:I’m making fun with the Gary joke... :roll: I didn’t want to say what marker I fish crap I have a 5 hr drive to get here and want all the fish in the holes as possible without someone sitting in my new favorite spot. I was tempted to try the tidal creeks but my main motor seized, was running 1999 30 hp Nissan so Now I’m back to my 15 hp Johnson. Get 9mph at wide open going upstream and 11 down if the tides with me but she starts first pull. After watching the video on how to upload videos it looks as if my profile won’t allow me as I’m missing the tab I need to select pictures.
I’m sure you think it is cute, but there are some hard feelings about it between the actual people involved. Welcome to the forum. :smt006
Unfortunately, Gary hasn’t posted much since he was jumped on back in November.

Fishing and hunting is dying in the next generation and for people to criticize someone for giving pointers and such is selfish.

Livebait2, I’m glad you were able to get out on the water and enjoy time with family. Catching fish is always a plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nopatients

Post by Nopatients »

welcome! I fish to the east of st.marks but that's a great area thanks for the report... there are guys on here that will still help us lost souls who need direction just normally not on the open forums
Robalo 246
Cast and Blast 17
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

SouthernPointe wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

Fishing and hunting is dying in the next generation and for people to criticize someone for giving pointers and such is selfish.

Livebait2, I’m glad you were able to get out on the water and enjoy time with family. Catching fish is always a plus!

Amen, some people just need to calm down, it's not like Gary was fishing easily accessible areas. Most newbies ain't gonna run up those creeks without tearing something up.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I've been fishing them for 30 years and still mess things up.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:
SouthernPointe wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

Amen, some people just need to calm down, it's not like Gary was fishing easily accessible areas. Most newbies ain't gonna run up those creeks without tearing something up.
None of you are aware of the private messages that were sent back and forth. I’m telling y’all there are some hard feelings. No reason to stir up old crap....To the op. Thanks for the first post. It would have been cooler if you left your little “ I’m involved” joke out. Then we’d be talking about your trip instead of this garbage . No one jumped all over Gary, and it started way before November :roll:

And I hope Gary starts posting specific creek names again. We gave up, and started fishing creeks further East. We have to learn them from scratch, but it is better than being constantly over run