Aucilla-12/3/04--Another Victim

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Aucilla-12/3/04--Another Victim

Post by Fisherman989 »

It's the time of year..inspite of it not being cold...so I headed to Aucilla. It was 39 degrees when we left home...but warmed up to 41 at the landing.
Surprisingly there was not much water at the landing...but we did manage to launch ok. Another hour and it would have been tough.
Went down river to one of my very best favorite places...below the island...and partner got a 14 7/8 trout...on white/red curlytail jig. I'm tossing my favorite lure of all time (mirrolure)...and struckout. I put on a jig...and caught another short. Drifted through 1 more time...zero. Went on down the tripod at river mouth...by then the tide is whipping it...out. Must have drifted 10 miles/hour. Slowly made my way out on the flats...it's cold...and too windy. Got one short for our efforts.
Back to the river pole...and we sat down on top of...every cast...12-13 inchers...sometimes...8-10 in. It's about low tide...so up the river a few turns...and we get a keeper trout and short flounder. Keep trying and get another 2 keepers before they fizzle out.
Waited until I thought we had enough water...and headed west of the river. Those 10 in. trout were there too...in numbers...but among them were a few 16 in.
We stayed till almost dark....wanted some of that 'rising" tide...and got 9 trout and 1 blue. Water temp was 53-54 degrees
As we started in...4 hours into the rise....I went thru one of the most awful places....not too fast....but fast enough...hit a rock that took my skag right off...clean with the oil input. I ain't got no skag no more. I had a skaggard on too. It's all gone.
Score one more for Aucilla. :(
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

:o oh my :o I think I been there. Looked OK at high tide and like a weird planet at low tide, with rocks stickin' up all over the place. But both times with rocks just below the surface.

I love it there. But, oh my... :o

I am sorry that happened to you :cry: and sure hope it don't happen to me! :-?

When I first started my "new lease on fishin" a few years ago, and discovered forums, my first question was about the dangers of the Aucilla: I actually thought I could just get a gps and load all the rock locations! :oops: I remember finding an interesting article for a newbie by googling "aucilla treacherous."

And you have so much experience there! To me, it means that if you go enough it'll happen' to ya'; and none of us know what is "enough."

So, when ya goin' back? Keep us posted, on the repairs and all too!
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

WOW, sorry to hear that.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Man......hate to hear about that....I've gotten to where if I know there's a rock in the area I try to stay way away from it....had my share of busted skegs and ruined props....Gonna see if I can get one of Wavels' guards installed in next couple of weeks..
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

Aucilla.......it's been almost 25 years since I lost a skeg . It was at Aucilla too.If you go enough times....there's a rock with your number on it. I've been over the place I got nailed 500 times. The 501st time had my number. :(
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Tough luck, I hate to hear of any motor troubles but rocks are the worst. I hope it doesn't keep you down for long.

You did manage 10 fish on a tough day, :thumbup: good job.
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Hee-hee, I bet I caught 100 of those 10"ers and hit all the same rocks, but I still got my SKEG. :-D I'm just kiddin with you, but I was there today and know what you went through. By the way, Wavels Rock Gaurd rules! :-D I don't know where all the big Trout are hiding but if someone knows, please tell me. We fished hard until about 2:30 and had 4 keepers@ 150,000shorts. However, it wasn't a total loss, for we did not get attacked by a pelican :-D
Fish Masterson
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Sorry, but that is why I don't fish the Aucilla, anymore. Unless you have a jon boat powered with a go devil you are going to sacrifice lower units.

One lower unit and stainless prop was enough for me. The place isn't worth $1200.

Luck next time,

EJ
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

OUCH - :cry:

That's no way to end a fishing trip. i also feel your pain.... :cry:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

fish masterson wrote: Wavels Rock Guard

Ain't on Google.....

:smt102
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

Look under Boating forum, skeg guard topic from last week for info on Wavels' skeg guards........lots of input on it..
sea-grits

Post by sea-grits »

Skegs, props and whole lower units vs. rocks from a little west of the rock garden on eastward, is a very tricky situation. I believe what Chalk said has more wisdom in it than the so called, skeg guard stuff.
I don’t know for sure, but the major variable to it all, is speed! The rocks probably don’t move around but due to tide and wind (especially in the winter) the distance between rocks and the vulnerable motor parts vary.
My experience, so far, tells me:
*Most 17' - 21' skiffs in rock country are the most vulnerable mostly because most people think they aren’t big enough to really draft too much. The more fuel they hold and the more fuel on board, the lower they ride and the more vulnerable for a rock attack they are;
*Go no faster than a medium idle with trim up at near 40* in Aucilla and Econfina. Tide is critical. Don’t let jon boats, small Carolina Skiffs and small bass boats fool you into thinking you can haul azz like them. Some few have run these rivers wide open for decades and somehow know how to just skim over the tops of rocks, but don’t think you aren’t taking a big risk unless you’re one of them (they have likely paid dearly in lower units, etc. over the years to develop their skills);
*Skeg guards mostly prolong a, “big event!â€
In a land called, Perfect, sea grits grows on the beach dunes in patches next to those of sea oats!
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Very, very nice SeaGrits. Thank you.
Second Chance
Site Sponsor

Post by Second Chance »

I think I ask this question before. Does anyone that fishes that area on a regular basis run a jet drive outboard? I run a Yamaha jet 40 on a 1652 G3 up here on the Hooch and we have some pretty good rocks. Seems like it could be a option.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

:smt017

I knew that! I've got busted props and have broken numerous
other more costly motor essentials over the years! And now I have a tunnel and jackplate and I'm more dangerous than ever. :-D

But he sure is eloquent! :-D and CORRECT! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.