Is the Coast Guard monitoring VHF DSC in Big Bend area?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Is the Coast Guard monitoring VHF DSC in Big Bend area?

Post by KarstRanger »

I am purchasing a marine VHF radio with DSC. As I go to get my personal MMSI number, the form says that the Coast Guard will start monitoring DSC in 2005 or 2006. I was wondering if any of you know if they are doing that or not yet. I will be fishing mostly out of Steinhatchee. Thanks.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Welcome aboard Karst :smt006 wish I could help, but I just don't know :smt012 I'm sure someone can find it ifin they don't know :smt025 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Is the Coast Guard monitoring VHF DSC in Big Bend area?

Post by Tom Keels »

KarstRanger wrote:I am purchasing a marine VHF radio with DSC. As I go to get my personal MMSI number, the form says that the Coast Guard will start monitoring DSC in 2005 or 2006. I was wondering if any of you know if they are doing that or not yet. I will be fishing mostly out of Steinhatchee. Thanks.
I have heard both yes and no. I don't know a definitive answer though. I couldn't hurt to have it though.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome Aboard KarstRanger :smt006

Never heard of what you are talking about, if you have a dead battery it won't matter.... :-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

DSC monitored by Coast Guard

Post by KarstRanger »

Well thanks guys for the replies, even if they didn't help a whole lot. I will try finding a contact with the Coast Guard in North central FLA region and let you know what I find out.

But, I bet if I have a question about how to set up a trolling rig or somesuch, you all will be there for help, and I appreciate that, and thanks for the welcomes 8)

For mjsigns - the DSC equipped VHF radio has an emergency-only button that even your kid can punch if needed - it automatically broadcasts on an emergency channel who you are and that help is needed -- if you have a GPS tracker attached, then it will broadcast your location. And it keeps repeating it in case everybody on board passes out or whatever. Since I don't imagine that the Big Bend region has as many boats around as some other parts of the ocean, then this could be mighty helpful.
--KarstRanger
grabbinglimbs

Post by grabbinglimbs »

I have a DSC VHF installed on my boat and will have the GPS hooked up to it in the next week or so. While I was installing the VHF around mid February I heard coast guard panama city broadcast that they had received a DSC distress call from the crawfordville area. They repeat that the location was believed to be a crawfordville home site. I am guessing that the person didn't register for there MMSI number and they were "testing" it. :smt011

When the wife heard it the first thing she asked was if I did it.. I laughed and said no I have hooked up the GPS yet and I ain't that stupid.

So from that day on I would guess that they are monitoring DSC already.
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

GPS hookup for DSC emergency broadcast

Post by KarstRanger »

Thanks grabbinglimbs - I would think that means our Coast Guard buddies are indeed monitoring.

I was wondering what kind of VHF gear you have, as I am working to outfit my 20ft cuddy cabin for some not-too off-shore fishing.

I have pretty well settled on a Uniden Oceanus DSC VHF radio with a Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XP VHF, 8 Foot, those two will total about $235 on the web. But I am really thrashing around trying to find a handheld GPS so I can plug it into the DSC.

Around the lakes up here in Atlanta, there are so many visible landmarks to find your fishing holes that a GPS is pretty much overkill. But off-shore is a lot different. And, other than the DSC use, I am trying to figure out if I need just a low end GPS or something that allows you to load maps and charts. Instead of $110, you are suddenly looking at $350+ easy if it has that charting software ability.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If I could make a suggestion on the Uniden radio.. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think Don had problems getting his hooked up to the GPS. But furthermore uniden radios are not very good in my opinion. For just a little more money you can go with a Standard Horizion or an Icom and be much better off. My $.02.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Mines good to go now, just needed a software upgrade, and reading the manual a little better than I was.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

VHF radio

Post by KarstRanger »

OK Tom, you got my attention. I was wondering if Uniden was a little weak, but there are so many being sold, they seemed alright and feature packed. I have seen a lot of Icom's but not heard of Standard Horizon, but I will look at them both.

And thanks for the $.02 - that's the kind of advice this new ocean boy needs.

Any advice on the antenna is welcome too, there are a lot of 8 ft. antennas that are cheaper than the Shakespeare 5225-XT at about 97.00 best web price before shipping. With gas prices going up like they are we all need to save as much of our $$ as we can for the boat gas. Thanks.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: VHF radio

Post by Tom Keels »

KarstRanger wrote:OK Tom, you got my attention. I was wondering if Uniden was a little weak, but there are so many being sold, they seemed alright and feature packed. I have seen a lot of Icom's but not heard of Standard Horizon, but I will look at them both.

And thanks for the $.02 - that's the kind of advice this new ocean boy needs.

Any advice on the antenna is welcome too, there are a lot of 8 ft. antennas that are cheaper than the Shakespeare 5225-XT at about 97.00 best web price before shipping. With gas prices going up like they are we all need to save as much of our $$ as we can for the boat gas. Thanks.
If you want an 8 foot antenna, that's the best one made.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

What we really need to know in order ta give ya informed info is :-D
#1 What are you fishing out of.
#2 how far do you plan to go out fishing "distance"
#3 do you have a good lookin wife that fishes with you :smt103
Had ta slip that one in there :smt025
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

I got a 20ft. cuddy cabin with an I/O merc. I have no friggin idea how far out I have to go to get fish. I wus looking at the charts around Steinhatchee and thinking that the depths were in fathoms, but now I see that "1" means 1 foot deep and understand it is about 3 feet deep out for 5 miles or so. So I really don't have any saltwater boating time in this area to figure out where I need to go. Yes, luckily, my wife a babe and would enjoy shooting the breeze with any of you. She doesn't get seasick or drink, so I can always depend on having a designated driver - whot a deal !!
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Tom Keels wrote:If I could make a suggestion on the Uniden radio.. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think Don had problems getting his hooked up to the GPS. But furthermore uniden radios are not very good in my opinion. For just a little more money you can go with a Standard Horizion or an Icom and be much better off. My $.02.
Tom. The 3 main guys that built Standard to what it is today after selling out are now at Uniden. Take a real good look at the new Uniden suff. I think your will see a lot of the Standard stuff there and the quality that goes with it.
dstockwell

Re: VHF radio

Post by dstockwell »

KarstRanger wrote:OK Tom, you got my attention. I was wondering if Uniden was a little weak.
They aren't thats just an opinion.
KarstRanger wrote:Any advice on the antenna is welcome too, there are a lot of 8 ft. antennas that are cheaper than the Shakespeare 5225-XT at about 97.00 best web price before shipping.
Tom Keels wrote:If you want an 8 foot antenna, that's the best one made.
That again is an opinion, have you looked at the Digital line, they are suppose to be the best. Also check Bethel Marine they have very good prices.