fryin' fish

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

fryin' fish

Post by rocket »

Anybody care to share their methods for frying fish?
I rinse my fillets, pat them dry, toss in a bag of cracker meal (with seasoning salt, pepper, spices, etc), then toss them in the 350-375 degree oil.
I'd like to get them crispier though.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Oil is too cool. Frying fish you need 400° peanut oil and nothing else. My family has been in the fish frying "business" for a long time. I learned from the best.

Dixie Lilly fish fry is the best stuff I have found to fry in. Salt the fish on both sides then dredge in the mix. You don't want a lot of spices in the mix because they will burn. If you want to season, season the fish instead. That way the spices are protected under the coating.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Tom is right on the oil and temp. The easiest and best coating to me is the Zatarain's seasoned fish-fri crispy southern style. It has a little spice to it, but not too hot for the kids, and good flavor.
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

This will be a never ending thread. :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Tom is on the money. 400 degree grease to fry fish. Coat with whatever you like. However, let the grease cool to 300 degrees to cook your hushpuppies.
What was I supposed to do today?
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

If you have ever eaten at one of the socials you would know you need to listin to Tom and Tin, them boys know how to cook! :thumbup:
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

AJ wrote:Zatarain's seasoned fish-fri crispy southern style. It has a little spice to it,
:thumbup: :thumbup: and :beer: :beer: :beer:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I'll bump it up to 400, and give that a try. My fish turns out good now, but I just want it a little crispier, w/o burning. I've heard of folks using egg to soak the fillet, then put it in the meal.
I like the idea of seasonong the fillet first :thumbup: :thumbup:
captainspride
Site Sponsor

Post by captainspride »

Uncle Bucks from BassPro,hold a plate full of fish coated with that over yer head and tongue will slap your brains out . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
GOD does not deduct the days spent fishing from ones life
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

TroutTrent wrote:If you have ever eaten at one of the socials you would know you need to listin to Tom and Tin, them boys know how to cook! :thumbup:
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH. TIN CAN AND TOM CAN!!! COOK SOME TASTY FISH.
DuctTapeKing

Post by DuctTapeKing »

Personally I like to soak my fish in a egg, and red viniger or balsomic vinigar bath for about five minutes, then I pull them and coat them in Italian bread crumbs, then I toss them in about 1/4 inch of extra virgin Olive oil. You have to watch them carefully because they will burn quickly but if you get them out of the oil on time you will love them. Also this I usually us for trout fillets. Basically I mean because the bread crubs will burn you need fairly thin fillets so you can cook the fish in the short time alloted. Also this is a healther way for frying because you use Olive oil. But this would only be good for a few fillets at a time not for a fish fry (lots of frying) type meal. Try it some time !!! You will love it!!! Just another take of frying fish. I have to admit it is hard to beat a beer battered grouper deep fryed.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

rocket wrote:I'll bump it up to 400, and give that a try. My fish turns out good now, but I just want it a little crispier, w/o burning. I've heard of folks using egg to soak the fillet, then put it in the meal.
I like the idea of seasonong the fillet first :thumbup: :thumbup:
This works for crispier: soak dry fillets momentarily in carbonated water prior to coating and then fry...it works! I read somewhere a few years ago that fish and chips places use the technique and it seems to work
quite well.

Good Luck!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
2true

Post by 2true »

TroutTrent wrote:If you have ever eaten at one of the socials you would know you need to listin to Tom and Tin, them boys know how to cook! :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
eat_mo_crawfish

Post by eat_mo_crawfish »

A buddy of mine in New Orleans uses this recipe, which I like. Dredge fillets through a bowl containing a mixture of egg, milk, crystal hot sauce, and creole mustard. Put fillets in paper bag with Zat's Fish Fry and give 'em a good shake. Shake off the excess cornmeal, and put fillets into the oil. I don't use a thermometer so I have no idea exactly how hot the oil gets, but it sure seems to work.