Hot Fishing & Scalloping - St. Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Hot Fishing & Scalloping - St. Marks

Post by Capt Reggie »

:thumbup: There are still plenty of delicious scallops left out on the east flats for those who want to take a little swim! We headed out of the Fort @ 9 a.m. this morning (my son, Capt. Bobby, my grandson, Little Bobby, Capt. Anthony & me) aboard the Miss Courtney - soon to be sold to Capt Anthony! Anyway, water temp = 85+, air temp = 95+ (heat index +100); wind, 5-10 mph S-SW! :smt007

The east flats around Grey Mare Rock had exceptionally clear water with lots of scallops for the taking! I was trying out my new 7-weight Sage Flyrod & reel combo and some of those newly tied BBF.net flies I had swapped for on some fish! Meanwhile, Capt. Andy tossed some Gulp & CT around! Big & Little Bobby swam around taking care of the scallop problems...we filled up the five-gallon bucket by 1 p.m. :lol:

As we were speeding along towards the Bird Tower, a bevy of birds showed us some fish chasing minnows on top. So, we stopped and wore our arms out catching Ladyfish. Unfortunately, no trout, blues, or mackerel were mixed into the turmoil of diving birds, fleeing minnows, and crashing Ladyfish! Catching Ladyfish on a flyrod is a hoot - they run and jump like baby Tarpon - these were in the 3-4 pound range, so it was quite sporting, indeed! :lick:

Alas, clean-up duty calls, goofing off time over, and we headed to put the boat on the trailer. I have a bunch of scallops to clean while Bobby & Anthony go after better dive gear and another Dive Flag (it seems we lost our overboard somewhere out there in 4-feet of water). :-)

Maybe we'll find the silly flag tomorrow when we go back after some more scallops and seek out the rooter trout & reds in close at daylight! Hope some of you can join us. 8)
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

thanks for the report Capt Reggie.

Let me know if you are able to find a dive flag around Tally. When I looked for one a couple weeks back it seemed everyone was sold out. I had to borrow a buddy's.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
reel therapy
Site Sponsor

Post by reel therapy »

SHOWBOAT wrote:thanks for the report Capt Reggie.

Let me know if you are able to find a dive flag around Tally. When I looked for one a couple weeks back it seemed everyone was sold out. I had to borrow a buddy's.
West Marine still had a few left this past weekend, which I found after I tried several other locations. :thumbup:

Thanks for the report, Capt. Reggie.
bman

Post by bman »

You guys are going to make me swim with those sharks.....

BirdDog has an extra dive flag :wink:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

bman wrote:You guys are going to make me swim with those sharks.....

BD may not be loaning his quite yet :roll:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

bman wrote:You guys are going to make me swim with those sharks.....

I gave it to Atticus.
GULP! free since 1970.
Mook!
Site Sponsor

Post by Mook! »

SHOWBOAT wrote:thanks for the report Capt Reggie.

If you're heading toward St Marks, Jerry's Bait still had 5 or 6 of them when we stopped by mid-afternoon after the lightning-related mass-exodus Saturday. Think he's charging $9.99 for em. I got mine elsewhere but have I think the exact same one, and it has a nice flex style pole like the ones in dome tents that folds into 3 pieces so you can wrap it up and stuff it in the glove box (a stiffener for low/no wind is required by Florida law and I've seen some for sale locally that do not have any sort) and metal reinforced clip rings.
DF 1860DLX

Post by DF 1860DLX »

By the way if if body is missing a blue croker sack I found it out on the flats monday about half full of scallops, thanks.
2003 G3 1860DLX
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

DF 1860DLX wrote:By the way if if body is missing a blue croker sack I found it out on the flats monday about half full of scallops, thanks.
It is mine. Just send me the cleaned scallops and you can keep the bag as a tip :-D
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good Report Captain :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Great report there Reggie. Kinda hate I'm gonna miss the meeting (again :smt011 )

I need a more flexible job, anybody need a smart arse salesman?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post Action Report - Friday am!

Post by Capt Reggie »

:smt006 Morning Folks! This is a follow-up report to the scalloping/fishing one I did from Thursday. In effect, that crazy son of mine "talked me into" going back out to the east flats (again) and gathering some more of those silly looking shell fish called scallops! :smt007

Yes, there are still tons of them things out there...in the same area I told you about last time - probably even more than last time. We had two divers down, with my friend, Gene, who tagged along because I "twisted his arm" (just a little) about going! The conditions were about the same, maybe a little bit more wind SW, but clear as gin, hot...oh well - welcome to July weather!

The trout were in the area, too...just small ones that attacked my flies and the artificial lure stuff for Bobby & Gene. With my arms tired (from flinging the flyrod), my fat body sun tanned, and way too many scallops to clean, we pulled the plug and peeled out for the hill by 12:30! I had a lecture to teach at the club meeting last night and I needed a combat nap!

Thanks to all of you that attended and put up with my ramblings about fly fishing...it was a labor of love, for me! Those of you that have any questions left over from the session, pm or :email: me and I will try to answer your queries! The short version (which I gave to the members last night) is in the "Articles" section of this net!

Go get them scallops, ya'all, and for those that wanna - try that fly fishing! :thumbup:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Capt Reggie, I took your advise and went after some of those little blue eyed monsters. I haven't been scalloping in 3 years, but these seem to be more "meatier" that those from the other side of the bay. I only brought home 4 galons in the shell and they shucked out to over 1 qt! The boys (10 and 6), Mom and Grandma all had a good time so we may go back next weekend :)

BTW, Howdy BBF.net :smt006