To Bimini or not to Bimini a flats boat...?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Richy

To Bimini or not to Bimini a flats boat...?

Post by Richy »

I have a little 16' foot flats skiff. I also have a young 4 year old son that I want to teach to fish and start taking him with me. I was thinking of putting a Bimini top (one came w/ the boat) on my skiff to keep my boy from getting FRIED in the sun. BUT, I really don't care for the way a Bimini looks on a flats boat or the obstacles creates while moving & fishing.
I've have spent a great deal of my life on the coast and have 2 melanoma scars to show for it and I don't want my son to have to go through what I have.
My question is this ... have you guys had any other ideas for sun shade while out on the flats ?
~ Image
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: To Bimini or not to Bimini a flats boat...?

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Richy, on your first post I just added a picture of a cool shade Dubble Trubble has on his boat. It is an Anchorshade I think and he said it was $150.00. He drilled a hole in his console and it slides in like an umbrella. Maybe he will see this post and give you more info.
Dubble.jpg
Dubble.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
Team Jolly Mon
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

If it was me, I wouldn't. My bay boat has a T-Top and while it's great during those scalloping trips it REALLY gets in the way while 3 or more people are trying to fish. But with your sun, I would think you'd it'd be better to have it in the way than for him to have a bad experience and not want to go again.
I guess that was a lot of words to say I dunno.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

While a slight inconveniance, they are esay to put up and take down :-D I put mine on the boat every summer
With it up

And with it down "it's right in front of the motor"

When you need it, YOU REALLY NEED IT :lol: and that makes it worth the little aggravation :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

There are few things more enjoyable during a dead tide than to nap in the shade with the gentle rock of the boat on a hot day.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

I've got one for mine. Just remove it when your not doing a family outing
The below pic shows the attachment points. Removes with just a pin
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

A bimini might be a good thing, but for a 4 year old I would suggest a lot of sun screen and short trips. Keep him interested, but when he's bored, take him in. If you keep him out there, he won't want to go back.
What was I supposed to do today?
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Or take him for an adventure find stuff in the weeds and water play with bait (not with hooks) involve him in the decisions where and how fast to go etc...
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
OG

Post by OG »

All good advice....make the trip about him and what he wants to do.

I've got 3 ages 8-4. I put a bimini on the skiff just for this reason. 9 times out of 10 when I've got them with me I'm not going to be fighting a poon that is going to be taking me around the boat. Yeah it gets in the way a little, but definaltey managable.

The good thing is, it takes about 30 seconds to take it off if the kids aren't going that day
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I put mine on in the heat of summer I hate it but there are people that are unable to endure the heat without it, children are high on that list.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Richy

Post by Richy »

NoleFear wrote:I've got one for mine. Just remove it when your not doing a family outing
The below pic shows the attachment points. Removes with just a pin

thanks for posting Nole, I see where ya clip the straps on the side of your gunnels which I like but where do your spreader bars mount ?

* SWEET BOAT, by the way ... :smt023
~ Image
fishbonez

Post by fishbonez »

I think its a no brainer Richy, you gotta protect the kid. Obviously you've been to the dermatologist, I remember mine telling me that like 90% of skin damage is done by age 18. Tin Can is right, keep him covered up and the trips short-n-early. Bimini or not get him some lil shades too.