Shark Fishing St. Marks?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Shark Fishing St. Marks?

Post by Harmsway »

Any body doe any shark fishing (on purpose) in St Marks area? My boy is driving me crazy to catch sharks. Any tips or tricks besides cut bait in a chum slick?
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Re: Shark Fishing St. Marks?

Post by sundown »

Run out past the birdrack after the water warms up..Fish a big pin under a cork or balloon..You'll find em..I've caught a couple of big blacktips out there and lost some other big ones. Plus have cut some off at the boat.. Also there are always some huge nurse sharks around the reefs..
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Cool deal, Sundown. Maybe he'll catch a shark. I'll be hoping for a Cobe!
bman

Post by bman »

My favorite place is the tip of Alligator Point. There is a deep hole of the end and we ALWAYS catch a few nice sharks.
Nice to fish off the land as well.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Thanks for the tip, bman. That should work out well with a trip to Lanark.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Back in the old, old days (before there was a road to Aligator Point) my Dad says he and a buddy fished the holes in Alligator Bay and took em whenever they wanted. Of course, that story is in the same time frame that they had occasion when they could hardly get back up the St. Marks because the boat was so full of redfish!

(he used to shuttle his scout troop over to the AP by boat to camp)
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

One of my favorite shark spots has got to be Alligator point, from the "Y-split" all the way down to the point towards the point. I'll typically start further in and work my way to the point. I was out there last Wednesday and pulled in a nice little 28" black tip.

I've pulled one out of St. Marks before but it was a small 14" baby that isn't worth talking about.

Back to Alligator Point, Towards fall of last year, we actually had a 4' (what we think was a black tip) come right towards shore on high-tide. We were fishing the rocks there on the first house after the elongated rock-wall. It wasn't hooked, as we had "something" already hooked we were reeling in, but she was sure chasing it and scared the hebee-geebe's out of us!

We were using cut mullet.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Redphisher

Post by Redphisher »

I found that you can catch them just about any where. Once the water warms up and the Ladyfish arrive I like to free line one out behind the boat while I continue to fish. I have them get hit in as little as five minutes and I've had to wait an hour, but they do seem to show up. I caught this Bull a year or tow ago in the Okclocknee. The leader on the end of the line is about 14" so this one was a beast. I've seen/lost some BIG ones. Most importantly be careful.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

RodBow wrote:Back in the old, old days (before there was a road to Aligator Point) my Dad says he and a buddy fished the holes in Alligator Bay and took em whenever they wanted. Of course, that story is in the same time frame that they had occasion when they could hardly get back up the St. Marks because the boat was so full of redfish!

(he used to shuttle his scout troop over to the AP by boat to camp)
RB........You Daddy is 100 years old, remember. :(
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IN ABOUT A MONTH YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CATCH ALL THE BULL SHARKS YOU WANT ANYWHERE NEAR THE RIVER CHANEL. LAST YEAR WE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM CUTTING OFF NICE TROUT JUST BEHIND THE HEAD, FINALLY USED THE HEADS AND CAUGHT 4 BULLS , WHICH WE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006 :smt006
FUTCHCAIRO
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

West pass at the end of Little St. George. That place is loaded with 'em. Tarpon too.