Solid Memorial Day Weekend - Photo Intense

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Solid Memorial Day Weekend - Photo Intense

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hardly know where to start... before this weekend only been out twice the entire year. Accordingly, for weeks had been eyeballing this weekend due to the new moon, strong tide flow, and perfect tides for launching Marine's Dream in deeper water and avoiding rocks. :-) NOAA seemed determined to depress me with it's subtropical storm predictions but by Saturday night I was gaining confidence things weren't going to be as bad as predicted. Talked to Tom Keels and he said that he and Atticus would meet me at daylight. Get to the ramp and think it's either closed or Armageddon has hit... Tom and Atticus waiting for me but it's full sun up and I see only one other truck in the entire lot. And THANK THE LORD the wind, while blowing, is not outside the envelope for making a run offshore :thumbup: .

Load up the livewell with pins and head out. Tom shows me his GPS screen of offshore hard bottom/ledge spots and hardly helps me at all as the screen is just a dark blob with thousands of intersecting lines and target markings :wink: Tom assures me that he can guide me to some good spots and though they are no deeper than 35' we can fill my coffin box.

First spot we target I don't even get a pinfish to the bottom before the drags clicking :thumbup: . Land a 32" cobe.

We make a couple of small moves and pick up a number of short grouper... until... Tom has one try and take the rod out of his hand. Showing Atticus and me how it's done, Tom powers a beast up from the bottom... a 30"+ 15 pound monster. Tom announces he is now "officially" happy :-D

Without too much travel we manage to continue to find nice groupers though most are just short. All in all we pulled in at least a dozen grouper, though Tom ended the day with the only two keeper grouper. I found it easy not to be too jealous of Tom, however, as towards the end of our day this bruiser decided to cruise by and take my pinfish with him. Hard fighting 28 pounder made us chase him about 750 yards!

We put the cobe on ice and Tom teases me that I'm going to have to get a bigger boat with a bigger coffin box :wink:

Not to be outdone, Tom decided to get in on the cobia action too. The highlight of his fight involved Atticus, who up until this point had seemed more content telling us QUITE entertaining stories than hurting himself yanking fish up. As soon as Tom hooked his Cobia, Atticus exclaims, "I swear I can bring cobia in the boat by yanking 'em in by the tail!". Tom and I both look at each other and share a "Where did that come from?" shrug as well as a "Should we let him hurt himself?" look. Tom grows a sly grin that says, "Let him" :smt004 .

Well, have to give Atticus deserved props... he has to make about three splash-filled attempts...

... but when he finally gets the cobe by the tail, he is lightning fast in swinging him in the boat :thumbup:

Here's Tom still grinning...

And have to add a note on a part of the trip I think Tom and I both enjoyed... tagging four short cobes caught throughout the day. Sent off for the tags late in 2008 and had begun to wonder if I would ever put them to use. Well, used half the tags in ONE trip :thumbup: Here's some tagging photos...

Day 2... yep, there was a day 2 but I'm too tired to type much more so will keep it brief. Went out with Sharkman thinking we would have a wind free day, according to NOAA and found they lie both ways. Was windier than predicted and we had a heck of a time getting out and coming back in. Though the water was rough, fishing was still hot. Basically, repeat of day 1. Will finish with a pic of Sharkman about to release another tagged cobe.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: Solid Memorial Day Weekend - Photo Intense

Post by GAJOEY »

Nice............. Real Nice !!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Ummmmmmmm cobes!! ill be headed to Ecky very very soon!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

BROWN BRUISERS! Way to GO! What an epic day!
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Tom, how is the vis looking ? I'm ready to get in !
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Good trip. Glad ya'll got ya' some.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Enjoyed it a bunch John. Hope we can do it again soon.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

big bend gyrene

Had a blast myself, Tom. And promise I'll have a net for the pinfish next time! :oops:

Report was plenty long enough already but for the entertainment value I should have included a note that loading the live well was easier than unloading it... threw away old rusted dip net last year and have yet to pick another one up. Accordingly, each time we wanted a pin we got to practice being "Fish Whisperers", coaxing reluctant pins into being corralled. Still have some sores on my hands from a few rowdy pins that didn't respect the whispering skills.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

That was great trip! Thanks for taking me out on Monday. I had a blast. Looks like you guys had fun on Sunday too. I wish I could have made that one as well. Let's do it again soon.
Grouper King

Post by Grouper King »

Very nice looks like the cobia are back. Hope to get a few this weekend.
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Sounds like a fun trip.

Frank the vis was 15'-20' in 35' on Monday when the sun was shining.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Awesome. I contributed very little but still had a great time.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

big bend gyrene wrote:Had a blast myself, Tom. And promise I'll have a net for the pinfish next time! :oops:

Report was plenty long enough already but for the entertainment value I should have included a note that loading the live well was easier than unloading it... threw away old rusted dip net last year and have yet to pick another one up. Accordingly, each time we wanted a pin we got to practice being "Fish Whisperers", coaxing reluctant pins into being corralled. Still have some sores on my hands from a few rowdy pins that didn't respect the whispering skills.

BBG,
I've got a couple of bait nets that you can borrow but they only work if I'm on the boat. :D

Great report and even better pics.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
big bend gyrene

Atticus wrote:Awesome. I contributed very little but still had a great time.
Atticus, as much as I love to fish I have a hard time remembering individual fights with fish, with all of them just kind of melting together after a few months pass. This said, your contributions to the trip are two of three memories that will last a bit longer... the memories being:

1) the tail grab on Keel's cobia,
2) your tale of the crazy kid from the party you attended the night before our trip out :wink: , and
3) a memory provided by a generous Mr. Keels :thumbup: :lick: :beer: ...