Chum Churn?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gator_56

Chum Churn?

Post by Gator_56 »

So after we had given up on catching any Red's this past Sun. we decided to try some sharks. We caught one and had several cut our pin fish in half, so before i go back the next time i will be investing in some stinger rigs but I also thought about investing in a "chum churn."

Have any of you used one before? Did you like it? Not like it? Any better suggestions?

http://gbtackle.com/chum_churn.htm
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Re: Chum Churn?

Post by seatrout99 »

Have one. Love it. Easy to use. Easy to clean.
Gator_56

Post by Gator_56 »

The ones I've seen on-line run about $150.00 do you know of a place locally that sells them? I would like to see one before i buy it.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Not sure if Crum's carries them or not. Boaters World carried them and sold them faster than we could get them.
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

I like mine. probably need to be anchored to be most effective so you stay with the chum slick. Ladyfish are by far the best material for a chum churn.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I like mine too!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

What a mess wrote:I like mine too!
They do make two models. One large and one smaller. Although the smaller one is easier to store on board and cost less, it is harder to load and clean.

If you feel you need a chum churn I would get the larger one.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Blue Water in Port St Joe had them the last time I was there.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Gator_56 wrote:So after we had given up on catching any Red's this past Sun. we decided to try some sharks. We caught one and had several cut our pin fish in half, so before i go back the next time i will be investing in some stinger rigs but I also thought about investing in a "chum churn."

Have any of you used one before? Did you like it? Not like it? Any better suggestions?

http://gbtackle.com/chum_churn.htm

I'll cast the only negative vote so far. I had one, and while it worked, for me it was a great big piece of equipment to carry and store on the boat for the job intended. No doubt the surface noise and the freshly cut fish draws attention, but I just didn't use it enough to justify the space allocation. Instead, I found I could do quite well with just chopping up old bait or trash fish and pitching them over, or slapping live pilchards and pitching them, which is actually far better than the churn.

Easy alternative is just to buy a frozen chum block and tie it off to the stern in a bag.

Just my experience. Wound up selling my churn to a guy on the forum.

EJ
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

Easy alternative is just to buy a frozen chum block and tie it off to the stern in a bag.

I tried that before -- one very important procedure to remember when using a chum bag is to retrieve before running with the outboard. Maybe you can figure out what I might be referring to here.
mark1152

Post by mark1152 »

Folks one of the good things that happened to me this year is meeting a bunch of you and learning A HELLOFALOT about offshore fishing as I picked up my boat first boat in April. Along that line lots of folks have asked about my "chummer" and no, it not my collage drinking buddy .

Here is the complete unabridged compliation of the Stressless chummer.

All hardware parts can be found at ACE hardware - Lowes has the PVC scd 40 and gutter grade.

Parts
Quant Item
1 3 way 4” 45degree Y
3 4”end cap with threads
3 4” screw in caps
1 4” x 18 ½” pipe
2 1” stainless washers
2 1” x 4” stainless springs
2 2” stainless clip pins
2 2 ¾” square stainless 3mm
2 1 ½” #8 stainless bolt
2 #8 stainless nuts with nylon stop
1 72" x ½” PVC
1 14” x ½” PVC
1 12” x ½” PVC
2 ½” 90degree elbows PVC

Only the 4"x 18 ½” pipe PVC is Sch 40 all else is gutter grade (lighter) PVC. Folks say they can make hte stainless pieces - great but when it goes over the side and is sinking out of sight - and they will PVC doesn't hurt your ego or pocketbook quite as bad.

Only tricks are you need a Miter Saw to stop the cut (I'm an anal engineer) so I cut slits in the 4" x 18 ½” pipe at 2” x ¼” with 1” vertical and ¾” horizontal spacing I’m sure one could just drill any pattern of ½” holes to allow the water to jet out. I like the cuts better. Also for the top and bottom screw in caps use a 9/16's auger to make the hole so the 1/2" PVC slides.

Next trick is cutting the 2 ¾” square stainless I take this in a vice or anvil or any work bench and beat a ½” flat section and two 45degree angles so that the long edge of the diamond goes against the pipe. Do this with both pieces and wala-you’ve got four blades set at roughly 90degrees from each other with the pipe in the middle. Drill two holes in the diamond about 3” apart and strait through both ½” flat spots and the pipe. Vice grip the bolt head and screw the nut tight. Never had any problems with this coming loose.

Some of the measurements for the chummer..

30" from bottom of pipe to the middle of the two diamond blades mounted on pipe
41" from middle of diamond blades mounted on pipe to the top of the pipe
2" from bottom of pipe to first stop pin(pin, spring,washer, bottom cap, insert, 18 1/2" tube, 3way Y, insert, top cap, washer, spring, pin)
63 1/2" from bottom of pipe to second stop pin

Also the length of the handle over the gunnel should be just enough to fit snug so she doesn't slip or flop around. For me that's 14" inside to inside pipe measure. It just compresses the kneepad to enough to not flop.

I do not glue the caps on rather - glue the inserts and just screw the caps into them. That makes cleaning and disassembly a breeze. Good luck and let me know if you run into any problems.

COPIED THIS FROM
mark1152

Post by mark1152 »

I was about to say I copied this from the pensacola forum a while ago. Have built several of them, I don't know how many I have laying on the bottom now but its probally a good ideal to tie it off to something.