Still Summertime at SGI

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Still Summertime at SGI

Post by WaltDawg »

Since its been raining like cats and dogs the past few weeks I haven't had much of a chance to get on the water. It looked like mother nature was going to cooperate, so the Waltdawg's and the Millertime's met up at SGI this weekend for some beach time and much needed fishing. It was tough to decide where we wanted to fish because the water was dirty and unseasonably hot. We wanted to fish early, but we didn't have the best tides in the world. We had to fish a falling tide both days and its hard to get skinny in opaque water when it keeps getting shallower, but we managed.

Day one, we started off looking for reds and trout. I talked to a guy in Panacea last weekend that saw flounder all over the place in about 50 feet of water, so I'm pretty sure they've moved offshore, because we didn't see any. At first light I threw a Sebile plug and Millertime threw the new Captain Mike's spoon. Millertime got first blood with a mid slot red but lost him at the boat. I land a smaller red but it was too early to put him in the coffin. A few minutes later I hear Millertime yell "niiiiiiiice fish" from the back of the boat.

He ends up with 26.5 inches and 7+ pounds.

Also manage to get a shot of the photographer by accident in Millertime's Costa's.

So we have one red on ice and I get a blow up on topwater. Looked like a nice trout.

The trout didn't fight like I expected and I figured out why when it got to the boat.

We catch a few more of both species, but the heat runs us off the water so we head to the Blue Parrot for lunch and some Millerlite. The next morning we wanted a change of pace so we head to Dog Island. We see a lot of bait running around and before we knew it, we get into the biggest feeding frenzy of spanish I have ever seen. I get the first hook up on a spoon and the reel starts singing. After about 100 yards of the first run my flouro leader breaks, but Millertime gets hooked up with another one. He looses 150 yards on the first run and burns his thumb holding the baitcaster spool and then his leader breaks. I've heard of smoker kings, but we got into some serious fish quick. We hook up with a few more and land some spanish, but nothing as big as the first two.

The spanish were gone as soon as they arrived, so we started chunking live bait. Millertime gets the first keeper of the day. I had hoped these guys were still hanging around.

While he's landing the pompano, my reel starts going crazy. I had 250 yards of braid on with a 40lb leader but I break off trying to slow down the spool because I was running out of line in a hurry. I wouldn't expect cobia to get so close to shore, but that's the only thing I've ever had run like that inshore.

I wasn't real happy that I never got a chance to see the mystery fish, but we hook up with a few more tasty fish and we call it a day.

It was a great way to end the summer and I can't wait for fall fishing.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Still Summertime at SGI

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Great report Walt! Sounds like you guys had a blast!!
Team Jolly Mon
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Now thats get'n it done :thumbup:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Very nice! :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
Salt Life
Location: I come from where the river meets the sea Live Oak Island

Post by Salt Life »

yeah, ! Nice report and nice photos ! congrats All I caught today was a safety and fish check from the " lost " poe poe and i mean "lost" I am sure they didnt get that BIG OLE" police boat out of Oyster Bay at low tide in time. Jack #@ss
BE GOOD AND FISH OFTEN
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

nice report. Looks like you caught some quality fish and hook'd up with a couple more. :beer:
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Miller_Time

Post by Miller_Time »

Thanks for the trip WaltDawg, it was two good days on the water!
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Very nice
readJOHN316
Site Sponsor

Post by readJOHN316 »

WD,
Great report.... :thumbup: Had another thought on your "smokers". We were in the bay weekend before last and same kind of deal with us, had a school of somethings tearing up the water around us. My partner & I both hooked up time bait hit the water. Both fish spooled us before mine broke off 30# fluro carbon leader. :smt005 10" later we land my partner's fish and it turns out to be a 15-20# Jack Cravelle.Image. By far the best tug on my string I've had in shore fishing in a long time.
Life's mystery: why people fishing from the bank cast to the middle, and people fishing from the boat, cast to the bank???
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

readJOHN316 wrote:We were in the bay weekend before last and same kind of deal with us, had a school of somethings tearing up the water around us. My partner & I both hooked up time bait hit the water. Both fish spooled us before mine broke off 30# fluro carbon leader.
That is exactly what happened to us and we actually said on the boat that they could have been Jacks. We never got a visual.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Very good report guys!!
Soccerdad

Post by Soccerdad »

Millertime is looking good. That Jenny Craig is obviously working for him. Well done Boyz.
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!