Sea Foam

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Joe
Site Sponsor

Sea Foam

Post by Joe »

Chalk posted about using Sea Foam a while back and it got me wondering:
I have a 2001 Yamaha HPDI 150 that is running rough. I am going to change out the plugs and wondering if anyone could explain the Sea Foam process. Is it safe for injection? Any dangers? Have a full tank but don't know the capacity. 19 foot pathfinder.

Thanks Everyone!
DeanMac

Re: Sea Foam

Post by DeanMac »

I have never used it but see the link:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

sounds like if would be ok to try
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

You want to add the Sea Foam at the engine - I have heard of people buying a small portable tank and adding seafoam that way. If you add it to your tank, it will not work as well. It could be diluted dependent on the amount of fuel in the main tank. The other problem is that the seafoam could melt/dissolve any buildup in the tank and fuel lines and send it to the engine and clog your injectors even more.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Not to upstage Jim's post :D I add the following..

I copied this procedure from another forum, back 3 or 4 years ago.
It did wonders for my '93 Yam 150. You won't believe how much carbon will come out the exhaust if it never been decarbed.

"You'll need 3/4 gal of gasoline and one 16oz can of seafoam for each engine. Don't forget to add 3oz of oil if you are premixing in a carbed engine. Use about 3 ft piece of fuel hose off the little tank. You connect this tank to your engine by pulling off the main tank fuel hose off the intake side of your water separating fuel filter and plug the hose off the small tank on to that fitting. Or you can separate the fuel line on the tank side primer ball, so you can still use your primer. If you have an engine that has fuel plug then you need a fuel plug on the little tanks hose.

Start the engine, let it warm up and start pulling the mix into the engine. You may have to increase the idle to keep it running once she get loaded with the Seafoam. Run the engine 15 mins in the dock or just cruising around under 2500. Then shut it down and let it sit for 15 mins. Restart the engine, the smoke you see is the carbon burning off. Do the whole thing again and let her sit again for 15 mins. If she smokes after the second time do it again, but I've never seen one still smoke after three doses. The gallon mix should be enough to do this 3 times. You don't need any wide open throttle, you don't need to change the plugs. If it's cleaning the combustion chambers it's also cleaning the plugs, but every 50-60hrs is good time to change plugs in most engines."

Author - I think the guys handle is/was Dunk and it might have been from the THT forum site..

edit to add:
I use a clean gal milk jug. Disconnect the fuel line on the up stream side of the bulb and add a 3 foot length of fuel hose, putting the loose end in the jug. Be sure to put something around the jug to keep it from turning over. Don't forget to add oil if you oiling system has been render inop, otherwise, just gas and seafoam in the jug. I think, the first time, I pored the seafoam in the jug and filled it full, which is a little more than the recommended 3/4 gal of gas.
Also, I warmed up the motor pretty good before changing over to the jug..
Last edited by qoutrage on November 18th, 2009, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yep - think that is where I read it Q
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

You guys are great! Thanks for the info everyone.

Cheers!
BullHound

Post by BullHound »

I have a buddy that runs the area NAPA stores and he puts Seafoam in everything. He puts it in his boat, truck, lawn mower and anything else that takes gas. I personally have put it in my new boat that I purchased last May. I haven't noticed much difference but I am using it as a preventative measure to help with the ethenol gas and any water that may get into the gas tank through the vents.

I think if you follow those directions above, you will find it will help you out a lot with your problems.

Good luck!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Sea Foam is awesome :thumbup: I use it in the gas and crankcase on everything. A can used to be $3.00.....now it's about $7.00 :o Funny how when stuff gets popular, the price shoots way up :roll: You can even buy it by the gallon now for around $65.00 per :o
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Well I bought a gallon of Seafoam the other day, had a coupon from Auto Zone.

I was going to do the decarb procedure as explained above, when the weather was nice enough.

I was chatting with a local marine guy today and mentioned I was going to do the decarb with Seafoam on my 1996 -150 Yamaha 2- cycle.

He said, he would not recommend doing that on an older engine that had been using regular oil. he stated, to much piston carbon to turn loose. I don't know if he meant it would clog up everthing or scratch up the cylinder walls or what.

Anyone ever heard of this problem??

He stated, Seafoam was great as a preventive, but he would not put it in an older engine. ??

I don't want to screw something up!!!!!
Last edited by DeanMac on January 25th, 2010, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

good stuf
GEAUX TIGERS!
slayer

Post by slayer »

then dont ever take your motor to that guy!!!!!!! because those are exactly the motors that seafoam works best on!!!!! Dunk was a big contributer over at BBC.com (bassboatcentral) his procedures have helped correct countless issues with older carbed motors and also with newer injected motors.....but you have to get the carbon out...thats why you sometimes have to do the procedure several times...and always follow up with clean plugs
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

slayer wrote:then dont ever take your motor to that guy!!!!!!! because those are exactly the motors that seafoam works best on!!!!! Dunk was a big contributer over at BBC.com (bassboatcentral) his procedures have helped correct countless issues with older carbed motors and also with newer injected motors.....but you have to get the carbon out...thats why you sometimes have to do the procedure several times...and always follow up with clean plugs

Thanks for the reply, I also saw a post about dunk over on Mako Classic forum. They stated he used it on a old vintage motor that had 1/4 inch of carbon on the exhaust ports.

I figured a good dose of Seafoam was better than cleaning/rebuilding carbs at $75 plus each.

I hate to hear that about the mechanic, he was a small guy (father/son)that came highly recommended.
Not a big factory store.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

How small was he? 8)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Jumptrout51 wrote:How small was he? 8)
I don't know, talking on phone :-D

One in every crowd

I meant a small independent mechanic that didn't sell boats
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

People accuse me of being less than honest about my fishing adventures when I tell the events of the day.
I keep reminding them to pay attention to what I say,Not the way I say it.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?