fluorocarbon leaders

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bizzarley

fluorocarbon leaders

Post by Bizzarley »

I see many references to people using fluorocarbon leaders and was wondering what the advantage was. I know it doesn't stretch like mono does. Is it the fact that it is more resistant to abrasions? Going to St. Georges island to fish next week and was getting supplies ready.

And, while I have your attention, what is the opinion on steel leaders? I like to use them, especially if the spanish are around.

Thanks for your help.

Biz
bman

Re: fluorocarbon leaders

Post by bman »

Fluoro is suppose to be less visible in the water, stiffer and more abrasion resistant.

I like it but catch plenty of fish on Mono as well... I think it makes a bigger difference when you go to the 30lb and up line diameters.

I use wire for the Spanish as well...
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

A few years ago guys were posting about a certain kind of mainline (vanish?) which they were fishing as leader and having good success. I wish I could find that old post and save some money over buying spooled floro leader material.

Try 40lb mono if you're fishing around spanish. Sometimes you'll get cut off but that is just the name of the game.

For trout and redfish I fish 20 or 25lb floro.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Berkley Vanish is a fluorocarbon line. When they first started making it, it was meant to be used as a replacement for mono, and it cost about the same. I used to use it when I went bass fishing At some point, they stopped advertising it as a main line, started called it leader material, started selling it in smaller spools and raised the price.

Maybe they just realized that there's more of a profit to be made selling it as leader material rather than main line.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I still spool most of my reels with Berkley Vanish and use it as a leader on the others. I truly believe it's less visible, so even of it isn't, it gives me a little more confidence.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

When using braid I would highly recommend a flourocarbon leader. It allows a little stretch to a hook set. There is no give with braid.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I use 20lb Seaguar RedLabel fluorocarbon line as my leader, its designed as a main line and only cost about $13 for 200 yards. For spanish I use 50 lb cheap mono as a leader. I hardly ever get cut off and it does catch more fish than a wire leader.