Shrimping

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Mister Mullet

Shrimping

Post by Mister Mullet »

Does anybody shrimp recreationally? It's great sport on the east coast. I've shrimped from bridges, jetties, piers, boats, even the beach. Used long-handled shrimp nets, small-mesh cast nets, and even saw folks tie nets from the bridges. I know there are plenty of them in this area, but never hear of folks going after them.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Shrimping

Post by Salty Gator »

I talked to a guy shrimping in alligator harbor last sat. He said he averaged 1 shrimp per throw ( of the castnet). He got a mess, but it took a while
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THERE ARE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY ROCKS AND STRUCTURE HERE TO THROW A SHRIMP NET. I CAUGHT A FEW AT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER ON THE BIG BAR OUT AT THE BIRDSROOST, IT TORE UP MY SHRIMP NET SO I DIDN'T TRY AGAIN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
fishinfrenzi15

Post by fishinfrenzi15 »

You can definitely catch them when they are running. We have loaded up in Alligator Harbor, Bald Point, and close to the boat ramp under Ochlockonee Bay. Just gotta know when they're there.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

How about shrimp baiting like they do in South Carolina, where they mix fish meal with clay or mud into balls and drop them by long poles that mark the spot? Then they rotate back through them with the cast net. They have a regular shrimp baiting season up there. In fact I think it starts tomorrow. The possession limit is 48 quarts, heads on.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

What about from the low bridges on 98 at the St. Marks and Ocholockonee rivers? Seems like with a light shining in the water and a long-handled shrimp net you could clean up.
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

For the last 3 weeks I've been doing WELL in the St Johns River, specifically out of Green Cove Springs. On average it's been about 1:50 minutes for a 5 gallon limit. The best was 49 minutes.
There're on FIRE right now.

I'd be happy to help put someone on the shrimp if they wanted.
Brian
Quality Time
Fireman 129

Post by Fireman 129 »

Hello Brian,
I'd like to take you up on the offer of where the shrimp are. I have a cousin who
lives off of 210 not to far from Green Cove and would be great to put the kids on
some shrimp. Can you PM me some info of the area and depth.
Thanks Chad
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Fireman 129 wrote: Can you PM me some info of the area and depth.

PM sent
Quality Time