Today's FWC Seatrout Ruling

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Today's FWC Seatrout Ruling

Post by silverking »

This just in from CCA on the commission's vote today regarding management rules for spotted seatrout. The official release is not yet available. I'll post it when it's made public. Thanks to all for sending in your comments. They did make a difference. And if you're not a member, I'd urge all forum members to invest $25 and join CCA. They really are working on our behalf.

CCA FLORIDA COMMENDS FLORIDA FISH AND WILDLIFE COMMISSION'S ACTION TO NOT ALLOW A DIRECTED SEATROUT NET FISHERY
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) discussed the very controversal proposed seatrout rules during their Wednesday meeting in Key Largo. The Commission voted to remove the closed months in the recreational sector and extend the commercial fishery while not allowing beach and haul seine nets. The action taken by the Commissioners keeps good conservation measures on the fishery while providing additional access to the recreational fisherman.

“It was extremely important to keep the by-catch and the beach and haul seine nets out the seatrout fishery” said Don Roberts, CCA Florida Chairman. "The impact from the regulations that were adopted by the Commissioners will be great for the jobs and economic value associated with the recreational fishery."

Throughout the process CCA Florida has worked with the Commission and their staff to help develop proposed rules for the Commissioners consideration to help this fishery thrive. We applaud their efforts in their work with the stakeholders and continued success in managing the state fisheries.

“We greatly appreciate all the work that the Commissioner’s and their staff have done” said Ted Forsgren, CCA Florida's Executive Director. "It is great for fisheries conservation of seatrout and the recreational fisherman."
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Today's FWC Seatrout Ruling

Post by Tom Keels »

Recreational anglers targeting red drum in northern Florida can soon take home more of the popular fish, thanks to a change approved Nov. 16 by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).

The decision came during the first day of the two-day November Commission meeting in Key Largo.

The changes take effect Feb. 1, 2012, and include the following:

§ Create three management areas for red drum (the northwest, the northeast and the south) instead of one statewide management area;

§ Increase the number of red drum that a recreational fisherman can take per day in the northeast and northwest regions of the state from one to two red drum;

§ Establish a statewide vessel limit of eight red drum;

§ Limit the number of red drum that can be transported on land to six red drum per person.

These rule changes are the result of a successful management strategy that began in 1989, when the species was considered severely overfished.

“This is our version of having a listed protected species and being able to take it off that list. This is a success story,” said Commissioner Brian Yablonski about the increased recreational fishing opportunity. “If ever there was a moment to give back, this is it.”

A 2009-10 red drum stock assessment completed by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute showed that red drum escapement rates (the proportion of fish surviving through age 4 relative to the number that would have survived to that age if there were no fishery) have been consistently above the FWC’s 40-percent management goal in the northern regions of the state.

Other recreational red drum rules will remain the same, including a slot limit of 18 to 27 inches and a one-red-drum bag limit in the southern part of the state.

To learn more about red drum recreational fishing visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on “Saltwater Fishing” and then “Recreational Regulations.”
Tom Keels
Site Founder

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Well, it certainly could have been worse. Thanks for the timely update. Was this a unanimous decision? If not, which commissioners leaned more on the side of commercial interests?
The Back Porch
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

For immediate release: November 16, 2011

Recreational, commercial fishermen to reap benefit from spotted seatrout management

Thanks to successful spotted seatrout management, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) voted Nov. 16 to increase both commercial and recreational fishing opportunities for the popular fish.

“What we are trying to do is be fair in a fishery that is in abundance, and in some cases, way in abundance,” said Chairman Kathy Barco. “We are dealing with a success story.”

“At the end of the day, both commercial and recreational fishermen are getting something,” said Commissioner Brian Yablonski.

The decision came during day one of the two-day November Commission meeting in Key Largo.

Changes take effect Feb.1, 2012, and include:
§ Removing regional recreational season closures (removing the current February closure in northern Florida and the November-through-December closure in southern Florida);
§ Raising the recreational bag limit in northeast Florida from five to six;
§ Changing commercial seasons based on region – lengthening them from three months to five months in the northwest, southwest (June 1 – Oct. 31) and southeast (May 1 – Sept. 30) regions, and from three months to six months in the northeast region (June 1 – Nov. 30);
§ Allowing spotted seatrout to be sold 30 days after the close of the regional commercial season;
§ When there are two commercially licensed fishermen aboard, changing the commercial vessel limit to 150;
§ Redefining the areas where spotted seatrout are managed by splitting the state into four management zones instead of three.
The changes come after a 2010 spotted seatrout stock assessment indicated numbers were consistently exceeding the annual management goal across the state, and nearly double in the northeast region of Florida.
To learn more, visit MyFWC.com/Commission and click on “Commission Meetings,” then “Agenda.”
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

tallykenj wrote:Well, it certainly could have been worse. Thanks for the timely update. Was this a unanimous decision? If not, which commissioners leaned more on the side of commercial interests?

Don't know how the vote came down, Ken. The chairwoman and Tallahassee commissioner Yablonski apparently voted in favor of the changes, per the releases.
screaminseamen

Post by screaminseamen »

Both of these ruling are horrible and the effects are sure to come shortly....our area cannot sustain 2 redfish per person bag limits....they are turning a success story into a disaster
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I am glad the commission is working to make all parties happy. I think the Redfish limit might even help our fishery. It will definitely show us who are the sportsmen and who are the meat fishers.
I also think we will benefit from the Trout rules. I kind of like being able to keep a Trout for the table in Feb.
I hope they will keep a close eye on what impact this has and make adjustments in a timely manner.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

fishinfool wrote: I hope they will keep a close eye on what impact this has and make adjustments in a timely manner.

Really? How often does that happen?

What's the over under on 1 or both fisheries being closed due to overfishing?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
screaminseamen

Post by screaminseamen »

fishinfool wrote: I think the Redfish limit might even help our fishery.
seriously? how so?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

silverking wrote:Allowing spotted seatrout to be sold 30 days after the close of the regional commercial season
I hope I don't get one of those 30-day old seatrout. :roll:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Mixed feelings on both fisherys :roll:
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Me too, GC.

I ran the campaign to create the unified fish and wildlife commission and the premise was always that stocks should be managed on the best available science for the overall public good. In both cases, FWC biologists say the stocks are well above healthy levels to maintain a spawning biomass and these increases will not pose a threat. I certainly hope they're right. I appreciate the commissioners wanting to give back to the public after so much has been restricted or taken away. In the meantime, I will remain cautiously optimistic with fingers crossed that our great inshore fishery remains that way. The procedures are certainly in place to make corrections if that turns out to be necessary.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Scary to ponder how many thousands of clustered little trout are going to get yanked out of deep holes in the St Marks River during February.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

GaryDroze wrote:Scary to ponder how many thousands of clustered little trout are going to get yanked out of deep holes in the St Marks River during February.
I was thinking the same thing but then again, they've probably all been taken by the then anyways.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

I don't think one month will matter either way. It's the extra time for the commercials that I worry about.