Spring Warrior/Keaton Beach 01/24/12

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Spring Warrior/Keaton Beach 01/24/12

Post by zload »

Took my dad fishing yesterday and ended up off of Spring Warrior Creek. Put in at KB around 11:00 AM, just enough water to float at the lift. Ran over to Spring Warrior and fished from about 3' in until we were almost scraping the oyster bar, with not much action. Fished with Gulp shrimp and live shrimp, bottom bouncing the jig and floating with a popping cork. Slowly worked our way out to deeper water as the tide came close to the high mark. Just about the time I decided to take it in my dad started picking up some short trout on both the live shrimp and the gulp. We ended up catching 14 trout most short but with a couple just barely legal, bigger fish came at the end. Had a fog bank roll in on us as well, kind of strange feeling!

We caught all of the trout using popping corks, the Gulp (pearl/new penney) shrimp worked as well if not better than the live. I finally decided to play around a little so I rigged a Gulp shrimp tail on a circle hook below a popping cork and caught 4 shorts on the same tail in about 10 minutes. Strange as it seems, the bite picked up at the very peak of high and after, not before. Talked with several other anglers at the marina and most relayed same thing lots of shorts biting near high or after.

FWC was in the canal but had a boater pulled as we came by. Later reported that he was inspected for safety equipment and got a warning for no flares, said he didn't know he needed flares!

Any day on the water with your dad is a good time and we're still learning! I'm thinking the storyline about trout being stacked up like cordwood in the winter may be a bit overplayed. Maybe the changing temps have them confused seems like the water temp was around 62.

By the way, if you are looking for where the fish are biting find my 196 KW Bay Reef and go the OTHER way. :)
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Warrior/Keaton Beach 01/24/12

Post by SS-342 »

Zload, thanks for the good report.

We, my wife and I, were there too. We fished just south of SW the same way as you did. We were in the water about 7:45 and enjoyed the fog until close to ten thirty.

We came out with six good trout and a 21 inch red. She caught the red and the largest trout, a 19.5 inch. Several were in the 18' and 17" range. We lost some good trout at the boat. Seems the bite was soft and we lipped most. Several fell off in the boat.

I heard about the "smokey" and remeasured a 15 inch trout we were holding in the live well. Decided it was too close to call and threw him back. Saw the "smokey" but he was filling out a report and let us by.

We also give ourselves a safety check and the dog gone horn wouldn't blow! Boat is in the shop today getting everything fixed.

This time last year we went to Dallus Creek and fished right by undercover men. They ended up giving us a hard time but no ticket for taking fish from our kinfolks. I was up set for months.

That is why I went north instead of south yesterday. I respect the law and do my best to obey the law. I'm getting too old to take what was dished out last year. A few more times like that and I'd sell my boat!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Good reports.
The Back Porch
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Thanks for the report, this warm weather has gotten me jumping to go fishing. I would think maybe the high tide may bring in more warmer water or maybe the high tide coincided with the afternoon during the warmest part of the day.

We keep a whistle and a hand held disposable air horn on our boat. If the horn does not work these items actually qualify as a noise maker. One time we were checked by the law we had the horn working and a whistle. He suggested that if we REALLY do need to make noise for an emergency that our horn and whistle may not be loud enough. That is why I bought the air horn. We were fine without it as far as the regulations read but regulations and compliance will not save you in an emergency.