Homemade Boat Project

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishHead91

Homemade Boat Project

Post by FishHead91 »

Alright! For a while now, I've been wanting to build a boat of my own, custom to my every need.
Still in the brain storming process.
I've already blueprinted and thought out a 16ft John boat, w/ 15hp with a big front deck
Got that set with all I wanted but now...now... I am considering a tunnel boat or Bird Dog.

Of course I got the idea of the bird dog from a local mullet fisherman, I was drafting almost 5 inches my canoe fully loaded down, and his 20 ft bird dog, was floating in an inch and a half and could run in 3-5 inches.

My wants/needs. Shallow shallow draft. Large deck, plenty of room, flat nose for Flounder/frog gigging, ability to run the flats, room for 4 people, and running nets (one day). And of course scoot around the river and lakes for bass

I basically want a flat nosed boat that can run really shallow with more than one person in it.
I am considering a "bird jon boat", An 18 foot jon with a 25hp outboard motor in a motor well close the bow (with a tunnel for the outboard to the stern)

Any thoughts or do's/don'ts? Or other ideas?

Either way pics to come.
If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Homemade Boat Project

Post by Gulf Coast »

Sounds like a goog old fashion mullit skiff !!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GET A G-3, MUCH SAFER AND IT DON'T TAKE A YEAR TO GET, AND IT IS LIGHT WEIGHT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

check this out and read about it on their forum. Great home made boat!

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=XF20

http://www.bateau.com/prodimages/XF20_350.jpg
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I personally don't know anyone who knows more about building wooden boats than Chalk here on BBF. I'd check with him. I know he got the plans for at least one from bateau.com. As for me, I've dreamed of having a "Bird Dog" for years. Fished out of many in the Aucilla River with my grandfather when I was young. He built all his own boats. I helped him with a few, but couldn't remember how to even get started now. Love em though.

salute2
Semper Fi