Tarpon

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flyfishguy

Tarpon

Post by flyfishguy »

Anyone know some spots to catch Tarpon around lanark, or Carrabelle. Im heading down the second week in May and would like to try and catch some poons! Ive also heard that there around alligator point.
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Tarpon

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Look for guide boats from out of town and anchor really close to them, they'll show you how to cath a tarpon.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Look for guide boats from out of town and anchor really close to them, they'll show you how to cath a tarpon.
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

there are some juveniles that are rumored to have year long residence in the rives and mouths, or those general areas.

however, if someone is catchin' poons around here, you sure as heck better believe they're not going to tell you where they're at.

no decent tarpon around these parts right now anyways.

head down to boca grande and deal with the traffic jam on the water there.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

snatch-n-reel wrote:Look for guide boats from out of town and anchor really close to them, they'll show you how to cath a tarpon.

Report back on the suggestion above and let us know how that went......... :)
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

snatch-n-reel wrote:Look for guide boats from out of town and anchor really close to them, they'll show you how to cath a tarpon.
Be sure your in conversation distance.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Ride right up there and ask those guys are they "catchin any?".

Write down the colorful reply's and report back. ;)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

flyfishguy wrote:Anyone know some spots to catch Tarpon around lanark, or Carrabelle. Im heading down the second week in May and would like to try and catch some poons! Ive also heard that there around alligator point.

Sadly, you have been mis-informed. There is a line of demarcation stretching from Tampa Bay across the Gulf to the Mexican border that no Megalops atlanticus is allowed to cross. We do have some world-record ladyfish, however, but they won't even look at a fly. They're real snooty 'hos. And we won't even get into carpet-bagging skiff guides who can't learn to fish their own damn water. Now I've got to run to Publix to buy another bag of sugar. :wink:
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

silverking wrote:
flyfishguy wrote:Anyone know some spots to catch Tarpon around lanark, or Carrabelle. Im heading down the second week in May and would like to try and catch some poons! Ive also heard that there around alligator point.

Sadly, you have been mis-informed. There is a line of demarcation stretching from Tampa Bay across the Gulf to the Mexican border that no Megalops atlanticus is allowed to cross. We do have some world-record ladyfish, however, but they won't even look at a fly. They're real snooty 'hos. And we won't even get into carpet-bagging skiff guides who can't learn to fish their own damn water. Now I've got to run to Publix to buy another bag of sugar. :wink:
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Now on the serious side. the Alligator Point area is heavily fished by the local poon guides and are very protective of the waters there. I you fish in that area you will get a lot of smart azz comments from the local guides. But if you give them space and not infringe on what they are fishing you can do well. The gulf is open to everyone and they do not have the right to run you off but these guys are trying to make a living out there and can get overly protective.
You may want to hire a guide for a day and see how they do it up here in the Northwest. If you are going for a poon on a fly, having an experienced area guide will be worth the cost.
That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at the Waffle House.
Good luck
flyfishguy

Post by flyfishguy »

While I appreciate the sarcasm, I would really like to learn about the fish and the fishery. Ive read that the eat on sand flats or in between the passes around st george (are there any such areas around Carrabelle? As far as how to catch them i would love to cast the fly, and good recommendations for a tarpon fly fishing guide?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

flyfishguy wrote:While I appreciate the sarcasm, I would really like to learn about the fish and the fishery. Ive read that the eat on sand flats or in between the passes around st george (are there any such areas around Carrabelle? As far as how to catch them i would love to cast the fly, and good recommendations for a tarpon fly fishing guide?

Silver King, you listening?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
kirt

Post by kirt »

I have not done it in probably 10 or so years but during the summer I used to hook up on alot around Mud Cove with my dad when it was too rough for grouper.
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

I've always wanted to try the beach in front of dog island. Seems like a good place. Just never can make it out their.

What ever you do don't set up a trout drift and blow in front of anyone on anchor fishing for poons. They really really really really don't like that. It's annoying.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

flyfishguy wrote:While I appreciate the sarcasm, I would really like to learn about the fish and the fishery. Ive read that the eat on sand flats or in between the passes around st george (are there any such areas around Carrabelle? As far as how to catch them i would love to cast the fly, and good recommendations for a tarpon fly fishing guide?
don't bite the hand that feeds you, SK is the guy
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.