Muskie Jitterbug

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelbad

Muskie Jitterbug

Post by reelbad »

Has anyone seen any of these old lures for sale in the tackle shops latley. I don't recall seeing any at Kevins or South Ga Outdoors. I use to have several but don't know what happend to them. I sure would like to pull one down the edge of an oyster bar early one morning to see what would happen. I have caught many bass on them in Lake Jackson and Carr lake back in the day. My best luck came on a new moon and fishing through most of the night. Can't stay awake long enough to do that anymore.
sundown
Site Sponsor

Re: Muskie Jitterbug

Post by sundown »

I used to have a couple of black ones.Biggest channel cat I ever caught hit one early one morning. Must have weighed 12-15 lbs. Caught a lot of bass on them too.. I bet a big sail cat would jump all over one..
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I used to use them too. 20yrs. ago. Lake Jackson at night.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

There was a place in Chipley that had them. King's Drugstore. You could get your prescriptions filled, tackle and ammo all in one place!

I bought a black one, just because I hadn't seen them in so long.
- Steve Stinson
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

See muskyshop.com has them for 6.99
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Try Shephard's bait and tackle in Thomasville...Bought one from them a few years ago and I'm pretty sure I saw some the last time I was in there.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

RCS wrote:Try Shephard's bait and tackle in Thomasville...Bought one from them a few years ago and I'm pretty sure I saw some the last time I was in there.
Thanks, I will stop in the next time I am over there. BTW, where are they located?
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Jackson Street...If you're heading into downtown from the Tallahassee side, they're on the left.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

IS THAT THE OLD JITTERBUG THAT WOBBLES FROM SIDE TO SIDE, I HAVE 4 IN MY ANTIQUE TACKLE BOX, TWO ARE YELLOW WITH DARK GREEN SPOTS ON THEM, AND ONE IS SOLID BLACK, AND ONE IS GREEN WITH BLACK SPOTS ON THEM. THEY ARE GREAT ON MOON LIGHT FSHING TRIPS, HAVE HULA POPPERS TO GO ALONG WITH THEM IN THE SAME COLORS.
I DO NOT USE THEM ANYMORE MAINLY BECAUSE I DO NOT DO TOO MUCH FRESH WATER FISHING AT NIGHT ANYMORE. I PLAN TO KEEP THEM IN MY COLLECTION OF OLD PLUGS, GONNA GIVE THEM TO MY YOUNGEST SON ON HIS 50TH BIRTHDAY.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

The muskie jitterbug was the one that had three sets of treble hooks on it. I just found my old one the other day that I used to fish back when I was in middle school. Haven't seen any that big in the stores in quite some time.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

ugadawg wrote:The muskie jitterbug was the one that had three sets of treble hooks on it. I just found my old one the other day that I used to fish back when I was in middle school. Haven't seen any that big in the stores in quite some time.
That is correct. My neighbor that used to live across the street fished bass tournaments and spent many hours traveling around Fla locating and catching 10+ lb fish. At night that is all he would use. He called it his big bass lure. He showed me a trick, the tournament fisherman use to alter the plug by removing the large metal lip and replacing it with one that had been traced and cut out of a plastic milk jug. His theory was that the plastic was flexible enough that the fish could take the lure easier. I have used them in Lake Jackson and Carr lake with good results over thirty years ago. Like I said, I am pretty sure a gator trout or big red would hit one without hesitation. I will find out as soon as I get my hands on one.